What's new

Denon DHT-683DVD vs Onkyo HT-S755DVC (1 Viewer)

Tony~SC

Auditioning
First time poster. I've done weeks of research on-line and shooping locally. The more I look, the more confused I get. I really prefer to stay around the $1,000 level for the total home theater system. (Realizing additional cost for cables/wiring)
These 2 systems seem to stick out to me. I would appreaciate any help folks can give as to why I should buy one or the other. I'm still open to any other suggestions as well. Thanks for any help provided!
A confused first time buyer!:)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Many will likely be able to provide additional suggestions for separate (different manufacturers) speaker/reciever sets.
As for the two that you're considering, Denon is highly regarded and makes fine products, as does Onkyo. From taking a quick look at both systems, it seems that a key difference is that the Onkyo does 6.1 EX/ES, while the Denon does not. The Onkyo subwoofer is also 150 watts, while the Denon site lists the subwoofer that comes with that set @ 55 watts. The Denon DVD player seems pretty feature-packed and high quality, looking at the stats on the Denon website.
I can't seem to find a picture of the speakers that come with the Denon, but the Onkyo comes with the popular SKSHT-500 speakers. While there has been some criticism of the Onkyo speakers, I have them and think they are excellent for the price. They are large speakers, though - if you're looking to put them in a smaller room (or simply would like sleeker, smaller speakers), this may be an issue.
The Onkyo set also comes with their back surround speaker. The TXSR600 Receiver that comes with it is also well-liked by many. Personally, I think the Onkyo has a bit of an edge over the Denon overall, but some may feel differently. You will also likely be able to get suggestions here as to ideas for separate speaker/recievers that may be better than these Home Theater Packages.
You can also find a review of the Onkyo here:
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...1.html?tag=rev

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I was reading a thread earlier in the recivers/amps section about the sr500 reciever having problems playing lower frequencies(LFE). I know the 600 is a step up but that is something you might want to research. BTW, I use an Onkyo 575 and it has served me well for the past 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks