Denon DCM-460 CD player.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Dec 23, 2001.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Can anyone contrast this one with the DCM-370 for me? I know that the 370 has the Burr-Brown DAC's, but the 460 has something called a ALPHA processor, a 20 bit dual DAC with 8 time oversampling and advanced SLC. This one is about $150.00 more than the 370, so I just want to make sure that it's worth it. BTW, I have a Denon 1802 as my primary receiver.

Thanks,

Reg

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I have seen the Denon DCM-460 in stores, but have never heard it. It is an older model, though it seems to still be in production. Frankly, if I were going to spend upwards of $400 on a CD changer, I would start looking at Sony's ES SACD changers. I'd save a little more money to track down a 'C333ES for $500-600 or get a readily available 'C222ES for $600. That's just me. With the ES SACD changers, you get first-rate CD playback in addition to SACD capability (stereo only on the 'C333ES and stereo and multi-channel on the 'C222ES). Just my $0.02 (or $500-600) on the matter. [​IMG]

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I have a 460, and to me it sounds superb. Sorry, can't compare it with the other model. I am running mine through a Denon 2801 and Definitive Technology speakers with a Velodyne sub.

Yes, the 460 has been around for a while (think I bought mine 4 years ago), but there must be a demand or they wouldn't make them any more.

Only thing that bugs me is that the on-off switch is mechanical, so my Pronto can't turn in on or off - it does control all other functions, though.

Cheers

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping you would chime in Keith. As you saw from one of my other recent threads, I am definitely interested in SACD, but will settle for a multi-channel ES model or nothing! I think it would probably just be better for me to live with the JVC 258 changer for a few more months, which is actually quite impressive for it's price (I hear that it has excellent DAC's for the money) until I can afford to get a great model.

Another question for you:

I have a JVC 721bk DVD-A player and the damn thing has broken down twice (I've had it for six months). It is glitchy (It won't play my Platoon and Die Hard SE's), but when it works, it does a fine job. A GREAT progressive scan player, but a "good" DVD-A player only. I just wish JVC would get their act together. Anyway, I am eyeing the new Denon 4800 carousel which I hear is PHENOMENAL. DVD-A/Progressive/CD and BASS MANAGEMENT, and it EXCELS at everything! But the price is steep for me though, so again, I'll have to start saving. I think it will always be better in the long run to wait things out and save for something great, than to pick-up something that you won't be happy with. Anyay, this wasn't really a question, just a statement!

Thanks,

Reg

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I used to like JVC as a company, but in my opinion, the only quality items them make are TVs, certain VCRs, and camcorders. Most of their other stuff is cheap and lacks key features or simply doesn't perform well, in my opinion. JVC's DVD players have always disappointed me, and JVC does not enjoy a good reputation by any means for reliability with its DVD players. I saw the XV-D723GD DVD-Audio player (the gold version of your player) at Best Buy when it was a current model and was not impressed in the slightest with the build quality. Then again, I am spoiled by the build quality of my Technics DVD-A10, which is a rock and at $380, was no more expensive than the JVC unit (granted, the Technics is not a progressive-scan player). Also, I've read many, many negative comments about the sound quality of the JVC player with CDs and DVD-Audio discs. What Hi*Fi? out of the UK reviewed the British version of the XV-D721BK (same player as the US model, but no progressive-scan output) and thoroughly trashed the sound quality. They only gave it two stars out of five.

My point in all of this? I think you could do much, much better in a DVD-Audio player than your JVC unit. Take a look at the Toshiba SD-4700 ($250) and the SD-5700 ($300). The '5700 offers HDCD decoding, if that matters. I've read nothing but good things about the Toshiba models. I've seen the '4700 at Best Buy, and build quality isn't outstanding, but the player is only $250. Outside of the JVC players, these Toshiba models seem to the only budget progressive-scan DVD-Audio players available. I'm not counting the APEX AD-7701 because I have no faith in APEX products. It has only been available from J&R Music World for about three days, and the majority of reviews I've read have been negative.

As for the Denon DVM-4800, it had some sort of bug with the picture, though Michael Lee reported on this forum a few days back that Denon had released a fix for it. You might want to search the site for more information. Aside from this picture problem, I have no doubts that the '4800 is a very good performer. However, I have been less than impressed with the build quality. Denon did an excellent job with this changer, but somehow, neglected the carousel drawer. It is very flimsy, especially given the $1100 price tag.

My feeling is that if you are going to get a new DVD-Audio player (not a bad idea), get a single-disc model such as one of the aforementioned Toshiba players, the Toshiba SD-9200, or the Panasonic DVD-RP91. I say this because for one, they are significantly cheaper than the Denon unit and are well-regarded. Secondly, if you are going to save up for a quality Sony SACD player (which will not have to have DVD capability), you will most likely be buying a carousel changer such as the 'C222ES or 'C555ES (or a next-generation changer, depending on how long you wait). The only single-disc, non-DVD, quality SACD player Sony is marketing in the US is the $2000-3000 SCD-XA777ES, so maybe a changer is more cost-feasible. Therefore, if you were to buy an SACD changer, maybe you wouldn't need a DVD-Audio changer as well. I feel Sony's ES SACD changers are built better than the Denon changer (better carousel mechanism and better overall build quality), so if you want a carousel changer for CDs, go with a Sony ES SACD unit. As I have said before, the Sony SACD changers are great CD players too. So, for many reasons, I suggest you go with a single-disc player for DVD-Audio.

Another option, of course, is to wait for a next-generation DVD-Audio player. You seem willing to wait awhile before jumping into SACD, so maybe you can wait on a new DVD-Audio player too. It obviously depends on how bothersome the deficiencies of the JVC player are. In any event, the CES is coming next month, and several new toys are likely to be announced. So, maybe you should wait to see what is coming in 2002.

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Wow! Thanks for that long informative reply Keith. I have been reading many of your posts and you seem very well informed on these things. I am waiting it out with the JVC, but I have luckily had no problems with the DVD-A portion of the player so far, and in all fairness to them, it does sound quite good imho (btw, many of the American audio/video mags who reviewed the 723GD were more favorable towards it in the audio department than the British Hi Fi). I am steering towards the Denon despite the defect (which hopefully they've rectified), though I will definitely wait a few more months for prices to drop before taking the plunge, but I will DEFINITELY consider the others you recommended as well. I have A Denon 1802 receiver and LOVE it, though I believe the new (and much more expensive than my 1802) Marantz 8200 is TO DIE 4 - I have always favored Marantz for music over other AVR's. I will likely wait to see what pops up at CES. The JVC appears to be heading for yet another breakdown AGAIN sometime in the coming weeks, and I may insist that they just replace it with a newer model. How many times do you have to send something for repair before they replace it? These guys should get a clue. I have been impressed with all the praise for the Sony SACD players, though I have never cared much for their non ES receiver line. Well, this is a great place to come when you need answers, and thanks so much for your valuable insight.
    Reg[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Reggie. Glad to help. Hope the JVC doesn't break down. Anyway, it sounds like you have a good plan for DVD-Audio and SACD. Hopefully the CES will show off some good gear for you.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Reggie,

I'd stay away from Denon CD players. Their amps are great but in my experience the CD players are problematic. I had a DCD-1520 that I had to send in for servicing for problems with the transport several times. Also, I worked in a A/V store for several years and I often saw Denon CD players give up the ghost and stop reading CD's. About 1 out of every 20 wouldn't work out of the box.

In your price range, I'd recommend the Sony ES. I personally don't think they sound quite as good as the Denon, but they won't die on you either. It's also been awhile since I've had the opportunity to do any direct sound comparison and things may have changed.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alex, I would say things have changed, if you ever thought that Denon CD players sounded better than Sony ES models. Sony's ES SACD players in CD mode are much better than anything Denon is making now. Sony's ES players are outstanding.

I once owned both the Denon DCM-370 and Sony CDP-CA80ES changers and preferred the Sony in terms of sound and build quality. The only thing I didn't like about the Sony changer is that it had no coaxial digital output, while the Denon has one. I prefer to use a coaxial digital cable over an optical one for recording to minidisc, so when I upgraded to a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer recently and wanted to sell one of the CD changers, I parted with the 'CA80ES.