Denon bass management question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisDixon, May 22, 2005.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I just added a Denon 2900 to my system, and I have a question about the bass management. I know that the .1 sub channel is about 5 db too low from things I have read and the test tones. Does this also apply to the under 80Hz material that is sent to the sub from the other "small" speakers? In other words, if I compensate for the 5 db shortage by boosting the sub input on my processor, am I now going to be running the bass too hot for the other channels? Also, when playing redbook CDs with bass enhancer enabled, does it also exhibit the 5 db shortage on the .1 there?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No, the "bass loss" is only on the .1 channel and only affecting those discs that utilizes that channel.However in many cases .1 channel contains redundant bass info so it would be hard to actually detect by ear any loss at all.Raising the sub input level could screw up the bass balance between the main channels and the sub, however it might suit your taste better, feel free to experiment. No. 2 channel formats don't have .1 channels.If you use the 6ch output section and engage the BM in the player you will not need the bass enhancer feature at all,as the sub output will be active at all time, for redirected bass.

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

From what I've read elsewhere, the bass enhancer is what lets you use the crossover with two channel. Without it, you get only the 2 with no sub output at all. This from Kris Deering, for example: "If you go to the audio menu of the player you'll notice a option called 'bass enhancer', this feature allows you to use the same crossover point for stereo output as your MC setup." I really wish I could find a comprehensive FAQ about the bass management issues with this player.

Chris

4. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

After doing some experimentation, it looks like you are right! I turned off the bass enhancer, and the sub still kicked in when listening to a 2 channel source. Just to be sure I wasn't hearing things, I set my sub to auto-on, and sure enough, it turned right on when I hit play. It also seemed to tame the "overcooked" sound that I was getting with BE on. Heck, even the Denon's own Audio Setup Tips appears to contradict this: "Turning 'ON' will provide subwoofer output (2.1) when listening to 2 channel audio". Kind of implies no sub output if it is off if you ask me.

Oh well, I'll most likely keep using my trusty Marantz CD changer as a transport for redbook and let the Anthem AVM30 do the processing, but I need to cover all bases. I can't have a component improperly configured on my watch!

Chris

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    What Denon players show this 5 dB loss?

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

All of them[DVD-A SACD multi players]. It's actually more like 10db on the LFE only.Some of the newer models have a built in compensation for this, like the 5900,2910,3910.