What's new

Denon AVR3802 vs. AVR2802 vs. Marantz 7200 (1 Viewer)

Scott Quick

Agent
Hi all -
I've recently aquired the upgrade bug. I have a Denon AVR2700 with a Milenium DTS decoder. I've loved this system for well over two years now. The new formats are drawing me in, however.
I'm slightly confused on whether the Marantz has discrete DTS ES and DD EX or if it is a matrix 6.1 surround. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also, the Marantz specs state that there are two coax digital inputs and one coax output, but the back panel picture clearly indicates three coax inputs and one coax output. Just looking for some clarification. I'm tempted to believe a picture rather than specs...
The main differences I see between the two Denons are:
- 110Wx7 AVR3802 vs. 90Wx6 AVR2802
- 8 ch. direct input AVR3802 vs. 6 ch. direct input AVR2802
- the remotes
The main differences I see between the Marantz and Denons:
- 105Wx6 channels
- 8 ch. input
- DTS and DD 6.1 (does this mean matrix or discrete?)
- the Denons have NEO DTS, the Marantz does not
- 3 coax inputs (Marantz) vs. 1 coax input (Denons)
- 2 optical inputs (Marantz) vs. 3 optical inputs (Denons)
Plans for this unit are strictly a preamp. I'm going to be running the six surround channels (FL,FR,C,SL,SR,SBack) into an ATI-1506 power amp. So strictly as a preamp, initially I think the Denon AVR2802 is the best bet. The only thing hanging me up about it is that it only has a 6ch. input, rather than 8. It seems rather stupid perhaps, but that alone is making me want to get the AVR3802. But then, I look at the tremendous price difference between the 3802 and the SR7200, and I begin to wonder if its worth getting the NEO DTS and having discrete surround (if there is indeed only matrix surround on the marantz). I also really like having the extra coax inputs on the marantz.
Please help - pleas advise,
Thanks in advance -
Scott Quick

Scott Quick

Agent
One more thing - what kind of DSP does Marantz use? Crystal, Motorola, Analog Devices? Thanks
Scott Quick

Juan Horvath

Auditioning
Another options since you are going to be using it strictly as a pre-amp is to get an actual pre-amp like the Outlaw 950 due in Oct. Do a search for it and you can find it's specs. If you really aren't going to use any of the powered channels then I do recommend going with a model like this.
Juan

Scott Quick

Agent
Juan,
I've considered the Outlaw, but I'm not feeling very confident on their release date. They haven't had an update on the website since the beginning of August. I'm pretty concerned - though it does look to be a very nice unit.
(Correction: My roommate just informed me that he got a reply email back from Outlaw and they said the September news would be out by the end of the week, and that the preamp looks like to be on schedule)
Though I'm planning on using this only as a preamp, eventually I'd like to throw it in my bedroom or as a secondary basement system. So, eventually the internal amps will be used. Hence, also my concern for the multichannel input for future upgrades.
But in all actuality, I think I'll be able to "survive" with just 6 or 7 channel inputs on the reciever since it will be just a "secondary" system
wink.gif

I see in looking on the back picture of the Marantz now that the multichannel input is actually only 7 channels, not 8 as I noted in my original post. I apologize for the mistake.
For anyone who has a SR6200 (since the SR7200 isn't released yet) how does this compare to the Denons in sound quality? And does anyone know what DSP's the Marantz units use??
So, it comes down to: do I really want NEO DTS processing? Does the Marantz have matrix or discrete 6.1 surround? Can I survive with just one coax digital input on the Denons?
Thanks again,
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks