Denon AVR3802 - Dolby Digital Problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Dec 24, 2001.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I need some help from the experts.

First here's the system:

Denon AVR-3802

Toshiba SD-2200 DVD Player

Paradigm Mini Monitors Fronts and Surrounds

Paradigm PDR-10 Sub

Paradigm CC-370 Center

I seem to have lost somthing in the transition from the Denon AVR-2800 to the Denon AVR-3802. I have been noticing spacifically when using Dolby Digital media that the sound on the AVR-3802 isn't as loud at a given volume level as it was on the AVR-2800. Is there some way to setup the dolby digital listening levels. I am really confused and concerned. Why would my 2800 be more powerful than the 3802? Is it possible that the Dolby Digital decoder on my new receiver is faulty? I have all channel levels at the same level that they were for my 2800.

Thanks for any and all input.

Merry Christmas

John

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

When you say the levels are the same, do you mean that the reading on your sound meter is the same, or that the number that appears on the on-screen display is the same?

3. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Marc:

Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the channel levels. I have my FR & FL set to +2db. I am beginning to think that it is a media thing and I just wasn't aware of it previously. Some Dolby Digital Soundtracks seem to be recorded much lower than others.

Thanks again.

John

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

John: There is no question that some DVDs are recorded louder than others. (In some cases, this is due to the use of Dolby Digital Dialog Normalization. Dial Norm is used to compensate for the different possible average volume levels between various Dolby Digital sources. Cable, HDTV, DVD, satellite, etc.)Good Info on Dialog Normalization