What's new

Denon AVR3300 parts discontinued? (1 Viewer)

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
the audio out recently stopped working intermittently on my trusty denon avr-3300. i took it to a local repair shop, and they told me that one of the boards was bad. the kicker is that the local denon distributor told them the part is discontinued. does that seem bogus to anyone? the avr-3300 is a fairly prolific receiver - it is hard to believe that denon would stop manufacturing parts for it. does anyone know somewhere i might have more luck getting denon parts? or even a cheap used avr3300 that i can scavenge?

unfortunately, the bad board ran all the audio, including the lineouts. so i can't even use the thing is a preamp. i would love to switch over to separates, but i don't think i want to spend that much money when i can just drop in something like an avr-3805 for less than $1000.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, how old is the 3300 from end of life???
They are up to 3800 in the series now. Hmm sounds pretty old.

If sent back to Denon, they would do a component level repair on it. The board may be discontinued.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I know some one who has the 3805 and he seems very happy with it. I heard his system and it sounded pretty good. It may be better just to get that instead. Especially since it can be had for under a grand. If you really want to keep the 3300 send me a PM. I might be able to help you.
Mike D

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
thanks for the offer, mikeduke. i think what i'm going to do is go listen to some receivers this weekend and then decide what to do. the 3805 is tempting. all other features aside, i find the 3 component inputs and the ability to convert all video signals to component to be rather compelling. i'll have to see what kind of prices i can find for it.

does anyone know if (unofficially) the 3805 is the successor to the 3300? i'm a little out of the loop, having not seriously researched any audio equipment since 1999. i see that i can get something better than my old receiver feature-wise for pretty cheap (pioneer 1014 for $350), but i need to go listen to them and see how the sound holds up.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer holds up pretty well to the 3300. I think the 3805 bests it by a good margine though.

Well successor is probably to strong of a word, but they are all 3000 series equipment.

4000 series is a pretty good jump from that

5000 series is a pretty good jump from that even

Andy_A

Second Unit
hey, sorry to hear about your Denon. Yeah, I'd probably sell it on ebay as parts and get a new one. There was a fellow here on the forum selling a 3802 for $450 recently (may still be available, do a search). The 1014 is another very good bet. Onecall has them for $349. The 3805 is excellent too, I'm sure, but you'll pay at least $800 + for a used one. Good luck...

PS: I think it would be safe to say the 3805 is a 3300 successor. From my knowledge it would go 3300, 3600, 3801, 3802, 3803, 3805. But I don't know for sure. Anyway, you might also try some other brands like HK--outstanding. I'd probably be a little perturbed if a receiver bit the dust like the 3300 did, especially if I did nothing to facilitate it (shorting speaker wires, etc.)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I've got a 2803 that's in excellent shape. Just replaced this past weekend with a Pioneer Elite. I'm the original owner. Not sure how much it's worth. I'm thinking $350 or so. Let me know if your interested. [email protected]
If you are going to buy new I think the 3805 has the auto setup. Now that I have had that feature I will never go back. Hopefully manufactures will start working that into more of their equipment lines.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

The 3805 includes the auto setup with EQ, etc. But, does not include the microphone to perform the setup. You have to purchase it separately.

The 2805 features the auto setup and includes the microphone in the box.

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
andy_a, yes, i am a bit perturbed about the denon going out on me. it lasted just slightly more than 5 years (purchased 12/8/99). and i'm certainly doing nothing out of the ordinary. i don't even push the amp very hard as i live in an apartment. on one hand, that makes me want to stay away from another denon. but i haven't seen much complaining here about quality issues with denon, so maybe i can just chalk it up to bad luck.

maybe i'll look at the 2805 instead; i'm not sure the 3805 has any features over the 2805 that i would really need. plus i would get the auto-setup mic, and not be paying for that clunky remote that i will never use. does the 3805 sound significantly better than the 2805? or is it only adding features and wattage?

or maybe i'll get a pioneer 1015 (1014 is a better deal, but i want 3 component inputs) and an amp. if i can find a decent 2-channel amp for < $500, i might be willing to pull the trigger on that and use the $450 pioneer to drive the other channels. would that sound better than one of the denons?

i can see that i'll be at the store listening for a few hours on saturday. :) hopefully i find a good place - i recently moved to the burbank, ca area and haven't checked out any stores myself. i'll be following the recommendations of a few friends.

Andy_A

Second Unit
why on earth would you need 3 component inputs? Does your tv have 1 or 2? With 2 and a receiver w/ 2 inputs, that would be 3 total.

If you're looking at the 2805 I'd probably look closely at the 1014 or 1015. Both are outstanding values. Depending on speakers, of course, but you may not notice a huge difference in sound running a seperate 2 channel. I seriously doubt there'd be a detectable diff. between the 1014, 2805 and 3805. All have ample power; for example the 1014 tests out at 5 watts above the rating, I believe.

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
right know i've got the avr3300 with 2 component inputs, and my tv has 2. and i'm using them all with my cable box, dvd player, and gamecube. it doesn't seem unreasonable that i would add a 4th component device in the lifespan of the receiver. hopefully whatever i buy next lasts me more than 5 years.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have three component inputs I use on my AVR and could certainly use more myself. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do have a game system or two, but I don't see the point of wasting a component input for one if I'm running short...

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
the video game system would be the first thing to go if i ran out of inputs. but i would prefer to avoid running out of inputs in the first place. :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive got a AVR 3300 that I would sell for cheap. Perfect condition, remote, manual... but no box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks