Denon AVR3200, monitor out woes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oren, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

My dad's home theater has never been set up properly. The satellite is connected to the Denon AVR-3200 receiver with composite; the receiver is connected to the TV using s-video & composite--not from the 'monitor out' but instead from the 'VCR output.'

So, I connected an s-video cable from the satellite to the receiver's DBS inputs, and connected an s-video cable from the receiver's monitor out to the TV's input. So, there should be s-video all the way through. But it doesn't work--no signal at all.

Any suggestions on what we're doing wrong? Grrr, I didn't think to connect the satellite directly to the TV to check that. Oh, well.

But is there a setting on the receiver to tell it what output to use?

2. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

I prefer hooking up all video sources directly to the TV rather than have the receiver do video switching.

Anyway, don't use Monitor out. Use TV/DBS out. That should clear it up.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Actually, monitor out is the correct way to connect things, so I have no idea what's going on.

The first thing you need to do is isolate where the problem is. Does the satellite's s-video output jack need to be enabled in some way? Connect the satellite's s-video directly to the TV to be sure that it isn't the problem, or that the TV's s-video input jack isn't at fault.

If you don't get a signal when the satellite is connected directly to the TV, make sure the TV is set to the correct video input if there are several.

If you do get a picture when the satellite is connected directly to the TV, but not when the Denon's monitor out is connected, the problem is either with the Denon or one of the cables. S-video pins are delicate and can get broken or bent, but if there is no signal at all it sounds like the Denon.

This may sound obvious, but the Denon does have to be turned on to pass the signal (unlike a VCR, which can pass signals even when turned off).

4. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Well, I spent 3 hours on his system today. He now has s-video for the DVD player and the satellite receiver. As far as I can tell, the s-video monitor out on the Denon 3200 is simply broken. So, the s-video is switched through the VCR2 out and composite (for VCR and receiver setup) is on the composite monitor out. (The TV has enough inputs to run everything directly, but I didn't have long enough cables.)

He wanted to use the receiver/all speakers, instead of the TV speakers, for everything, including cable. So, I had to run cable into the TV, and then an AV cable from the TV to the receiver (using the VCR2/Aux inputs).

It all works, but what a pain.