Denon AVR1802 up in smoke

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I purchased a Denon 1802 to run in a second system a couple of weeks ago. I am using it as a pre-pro with Marantz MA500s driving the fronts and center. The rears are powered by the Denon.
    Last night I was watching the end of Fight Club at reference level, when the receiver shut down. I thought this was odd, as I don't think I was stressing the internal amps driving only one set of speakers. Upon power up, there was a flash of fire? and a puff of smoke. Now when I try to power up it shuts down immediately. Any ideas what's going on?
    Fortunately, I purchased it at a local dealer who (I think) will exchange it without too much difficulty. Do I need a more powerful piece?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

You're power supply just went POOF I'd imagine.
    Get it replaced ASAP. That is not normal at all. Unless you are driving very hard to manage, low impedence speakers: say 4 ohm with dips into 2 ohm territory.
    Don't try turning it on any more as something got fried. Don't start a fire!
    While you're at it you may want to look at something with a little more oomph! Maybe a 2802. You could have 6.1 in your second system too!
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 30, 2001 at 11:45 AM]

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Thanks for the reply. It's going back tomorrow.