denon avr1802 damaged, i have two options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jan 18, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

the rear right surround channel doesnt produce any sound. i have made sure that it is not the cable, not the speaker. i bought it from etronics in october 2001. no warranty, i suppose. so tried to find more info about repair on denon's site. first, i called a denon dealer, here :

Synthesis AudioVideo

410 N. Wells Street Chicago,

IL 60610

312-644-2142

i spoke with "euclid", and he said even though it is bought from unauthorized dealer, he could try to contact denon and perhaps he could make my receiver "under warranty". the catch is, i have to provide him the receipt ( piece of cake ), and he might ship the receiver to new york ( i forgot where it was, but i think it was new york ). it is gonna take more than just 2 weeks, i think, and i cant live without the receiver!

then i called a service center :

ELECTRONIC ENGINEERS

2516 W ARMITAGE AVE

CHICAGO, IL 60647

Phone: (773) 227-2600

Fax: (773) 227-2603

they told me they need about 2 weeks to fix it. 1 week only, if the receiver doesnt need spare parts. and i have to pay at least 30 dollar. he didnt have any idea how much the overall cost will be.

even if it is gonna cost me a hundred, i am willing to pay, i dont have time for waiting this and waiting that. i just want it to be fixed asap.

but before i choose anyone of those option, can you guys please give me your two cents?

thanks

2. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

most retailers will replace a defective item if it's within 30 days. I would try to have your unit replaced with another before they ship it off to get repaired.

You can threaten the store with reporting them selling defective equipment.

If you look at your receipt, there may be the return policy on it.

If it is after 30 days, that's a different story.

Good luck

3. felix_suwarno

i bought it october 2001, more than 30 days ago. it is gonna be a different story, i guess.

4. felix_suwarno

i tried to do a search regarding this matter.
    a quote : "Therefore, as long as your serial number matches Denon USA database, they will service it." -david susilo
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...0&pagenumber=1
    but the service dealer in chicago said buying from internet is a no no that he wont repair my receiver for free. this is ridiculous. i couldnt find any thread that is conclusive about this case.
    i need help! really, honest.

5. felix_suwarno

denon customer service sucks. i tried to call, nobody answered. is today a holiday?

6. felix_suwarno

bump, come on, i need some advice

7. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Regardless of what you do, you will be without the receiver for at least one week (no parts needed). You have to decide whether it is worth paying possibly more than $100 to get your receiver back a week or two earlier.

Personally, if Denon is covering this under a warranty, I would go with Denon. At least you will know the repair cost (free!), and on the off chance that the receiver is really damaged beyond repair, you might get a new one. Plus, the repair work will be covered by Denon.

Michael

8. felix_suwarno

michael, i am not sure whether denon wants to fix it or not. i tried the search function, and the result is inconclusive. no one said loudly that a receiver bought from an authorized dealer is covered by the warranty. i am still waiting for some people to return my email and pm, but in the mean time, what do you guys think you would do if you were in my shoes?

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Felix:

I bought my Denon 1802 at mydigitaluniverse.com last September, and the unit came with the limited warranty (two years parts and labor) and registration card in an envelope. The dealer had a 15 day return policy in case the unit arrived defective or DOA. I am pretty certain my dealer wasn't authorized, but did you receive any kind of warranty enclosed with the unit? Normally, as long as the unit was bought brand new (not refurbished) with the limited warranty enclosed, and the serial numbers were not tampered with, they will repair it. I'm sorry you're having a problem with your 1802, as most have usually been pretty reliable. Good luck.

Reg

10. felix_suwarno

i am sure i have sent the warranty card back to denon. that was the first thing i did. i am going to ask the service center to check the serial number if they can do it. this sucks, i love the receiver!

11. felix_suwarno

no one has any suggestion about what to do. well, wish me luck, i will just pay the fee to fix the damn receiver.

12. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Felix:

I'm sorry, I know how it is - I have a JVC 721 DVD-A player that is in and out of their service center. As a few have stated here, you will have to be PATIENT until the unit is repaired. Their service department may have a few other owners who have units which require repair as well. You probably will have to wait at least two weeks, and this is only if they don't have to order parts. My JVC took nearly a month because they had to wait for parts before it could be repaired. Either way, you will be in for a wait, and I'm sure you will be able to have your receiver repaired free of charge.

Reg

Reg

13. felix_suwarno

reggie, i just dont see how i could get away with a free service. even the first option is not guaranteed to give me a free service. now, i am afraid if i chose the first option, i would have to wait 3 to 4 weeks, and then PAY for it. with the second one, 2 weeks, paid, and done.

is there anybody here who bought denon receiver from unauthorized dealer, yet could get a free fixing service? if yes, HOWWWWWW?

14. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

Are you sure etronics does not honor the full manufacturer's warranty? I recently purchased from a non-authorized etailor and they will honor the full manufacturer's warranty for the full length of the warranty. I just have to send the equipment to them. They fix it for free and even refund the S/H to get it to them.

Good luck,

MikeLobos

15. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

I have heard that you can get manufacturer's to fix equipment bought from non-authorized dealers by calling them directly and claiming you got it as a gift with no receipt.

Here comes my 0.02: I think the whole non-authorized vs. authorized dealer clause is ridiculous. If a company makes a product they should stand behind it (as long as it is not B stock or grey items).

MikeLobos

16. felix_suwarno

thanks for the replies.

i tried to call both etronics and denon last friday, around 1 o'clock chicago time ( central? ).

i got no reply from both's customer service. etronics made me wait for 35 minutes straight until i hung the phone up. same with denon.

i am really afraid that the warranty card didnt get to denon's office. if that happens, well, i think i will pay for the repair cost. ( i sent the card within 10 days of purchase ).

i cant live without my hometheater. i couldnt make any homework yesterday!

17. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

18. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

Felix,

Call etronics again and ask their advice. Since they are an unauthorized dealer, they have probably dealt with this before and might cover it themselves or they may be able to advise you as to a repair facility or how to deal with Denon directly. What do you have to lose? Although you don't want to, you are willing to pay to have it repaired. That is the worst case scenario anyway, so why not see what your options are with Etronics and Denon? The bigger problem is that you don't want to wait long for the repair. You may be out of luck. Even if you have it repaired locally, they may not have the part(s) and that can take time. you may have had to wait even if you bought it from an authorized dealer.

Good luck

Mark

19. felix_suwarno

just got a reply from etronics. problem is, i have lost the plastic wrap which was used to wrap the receiver. and off course i have sent the warranty card back to denon! this is silly. a htf member sent me an email ( he is john morris ) and he was willing to check whether i can still have warranty. i am under so much stress here, grad school and a hyperactive baby. when the stress is too much to bear i need my home theater to relieve my self!
    here is the reply :
    We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with your merchandise!
    Please try the manufacturer's tech support line, they may be able to help you
    out.
    If all fails-
    Here is your Repair authorization #
    REPSUW0110120SS
    Before sending back your defective equipment for Repair , please follow these
    explicit instructions:
    All returns must be packed in the manufacturer's box and then placed in another
    shipping box (you can use the one you received with your order). We will
    absolutely refuse any manufacturer's box that has been written on, or has any
    extra tape on it.
    Make sure you have put back everything that came with your merchandise, the
    manufacturer's accessories, instruction books and warranty cards (unfilled) and
    packaging. Merchandise must be in mint condition, the way it was received. It
    cannot have any scratches or any other damages.
    Ship the package via any ground shipping method of your choice, such as the US
    Post Office or UPS. Be sure to have it insured and request a receipt.
    The package must be postmarked within 1 week of the date this exchange
    authorization# was issued or the number will no longer be valid.
    Before sending it back we strongly recommended that you contact the
    manufacturers technical support to make sure it is in fact defective
    Please note: Once we receive the package, you will be e-mailed by the receiving
    department acknowledging receipt, and letting you know how long it will take to
    process the exchange.
    Send to:
    Etronics.com
    216 Maspeth Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11211
    Att: REP#............ (Please put your Exchange # Here)
    Please mention the problem you're having with the merchandise, and that you
    would like it exchanged with same.
    If you have any questions, you can contact our
    Customer Service Department M-F at 800-541-1490
    or 212-475-3852. Or you may email them at
    [email protected]
    Visit us again at http://www.etronics.com

20. felix_suwarno

i will also try to test my receiver once again to REALLY MAKE SURE IT DOESNT WORK PROPERLY. i take care of my equipments more than i take care my wife. i cant believe this.

looks like etronics won't help. they want me to send the package like it is really new. the receiver itself looks perfect, but even though i have the manufacturer's box, AND the outer box, i dont have the plastic wraps. besides, the manual doesnt look in good shape due to my hyperactive baby.

thanks for the replies guys.

EDIT

this morning i tried it again, and have made sure that the rear right surround channel doesnt produce any sound at all. is it possible dust caused it? i always try to cover the receiver with a wrap.