What's new

Denon AVR-S730H & 4K Video (1 Viewer)

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Is it true that a Denon AVR-S730H cannot play 4K video? If it cannot why does the manufacturer describe it as "AVR-S730H 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver with HEOS"? I'm seeing reviewers saying it cannot "pass through" 4K? What does "pass through" mean in this context? I'm also seeing people claim that it can handle 4k/30 but not 4k/60? Some one please help me clear this up.

Thanks,
Joe

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Where are you seeing this cited in reviews? I do know that the front HDMI input cannot handle HDR or anything higher than 30hz, but at least the first 3-4, if not all, of the rear HDMI inputs can pass 4K/60 with HDR10/Dolby Vision/HLG. I have the S930, the next model up, which has a second HDMI out and a bit more power, but I believe the video processing is the same or at least similar on both models.

This receiver has also been discontinued, as it was a 2017 model, and when it first came out around this time last year it was incapable of Dolby Vision and HLG high dynamic range pass-through, but was fixed with a firmware update.The reviews you are reading were likely written before the firmware was issued and the reviews never updated.

Last edited:

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Amazon reviews and possible online forums but lost track of where exactly. Did not check the dates. Didn't know about the upgrades. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks