What's new

Denon AVR remote question (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I was thinking of ordering the remote currently available for the Denon 3802 for my 1802 (whose remote is simply unbearable to use) directly from Denon. Has anyone attempted this? The reason I ask, is that a few other Denon 1602-3802 owners have had trouble getting indepedent universal remotes to work with their units on some functions. I think the 3802 remote is quite nice and will suit me for the time being. I appreciate any and all comments.
R.C.;)

David_KW

Auditioning
Reggie,

I don't have an exact comparison, but I have used remotes for several Denon's I own (5800, 4800, 3800, 3200, and an older 1800 (I think) across models. The basic functions have all worked pretty well.

I've definitely used the 3200 remote with the 5800 to get into some of the more advanced on screen menu settings and mess around (couldn't find a specific setting I needed using the LCD remote) and even this worked fine.

I think you'll probably be fine with your approach.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Reggie: I'd like to suggest a cheaper and (IMO) better solution for your remote dilemma.
A One-For-All Cinema 7+ (with learning.) Take a look at this website. http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml This remote can be bought at most Sears (and many on-line places) for $25 or less.
The C7+ does not have a backlight. But IMO, this is it's ONLY drawback (some of the keys do glow in the dark.) It has every command you will want and can even generate a couple that your 1802 (and the 3802) remotes cannot (as long as the 1802 can support the extra commands.) You would be able to raise your system automation up a few notches since you can teach macros to almost every key. And, if you want to spend a bit of time and take it to the ulimate level, you can now even interface it with your PC. Just a tremendous piece of technology.
Please take the time to read through the basics of the website I listed above. This thing is awesome!

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
I second the recommendation to head to hifi-remote.com but I'd go with the RCA RCU810 personally, although it's more expensive and really a mattter of preference. Both are essentially the same remote and are extremely programmable with the JP1 cable info at hifi-remote.com. I didn't get the remote with my AVR-2700 and with custom programming, this RCA does everything.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, I would suggest you don't go for the remote that comes with the 3802. Basically, this is the same remote that came with the old AVR-1800, except with backlighting and a few extra features. Ergonomics are not that great, and some of the remotes others have suggested would work better IMHO.

Mike

Andrew B

Agent
Personally the only thing I really don't like about my Denon 3802 is the remote it comes with, frankly it sucks :frowning: I recently picked up a Radio Shack 15-1994 remote, and it works wonders after I advanced programed it with the information on http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml Now I can control EVERYTHING that I own, even that daffy Moterola digital cable box.... And it only cost me about $25US or so, money well spent :D
Andrew

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of your replies. I think I am swinging towards the RCA 810 at Mike's suggestion. It's backlit and has a nice LCD display. I think this will be a nice one for around $50.00. I also hear Denon charges a grip for their remotes, and it would be logical to get a better remote elsewhere for less that will control my entire system. It's amazing how high some of these universal remotes can go in price. The Big picture just reviewed a new one (I forget the model) which retails for $999.00!!!I mean.....if you have this kind of dough to spend on a REMOTE, I would most certainly marvel at the sight (and sound for that matter) of the rest of your system!
Thanks,
R.C.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Reggie: While I understand Mike_A's point, it is worth noting is that you must use the JP1 interface to get the RCU810 to really perform for you. To my knowledge, it cannot accept any advanced codes without it. The JP1 project was/is an awesome thing. It makes these inexpensive One-For-All remotes a hacker's and user's dream. But it is time consuming. If you are wanting to setup a remote and start using it in a short time, you may become pretty disillusioned.

This is why I usually mention the Cinema 7+. If you want to take it to the next level, it too supports the JP1. But it doesn't need the JP1 to do all of the things you're looking for. In less than an hour (maybe much less), by using the site I mentioned, you can have your system up and running on the C7+.

Just food for thought...

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
chuck is correct, the JP1 is necessary to harness the power of the RCU810, while the Cinema 7+'s can do a lot out of the box. If you can find one on clearance, the Radioshack 15-1994 is very similar to the Cinema 7+ internally, has the back light, built in JP1 connector and is a favorite. It is discontinued, so it may be hard to find. The new version of this remote is the 15-2104, but it is actually more similar to the RCU810 internally. It can, however, take advanced codes without the JP1 interface (like the Cinema 7+ and 15-1994).
I still prefer my RCU810 - love the LCD, love the location of the setup button (used as shift) right in the middle of the remote, and of course love the backlight :) But I did need the JP1 cable, although I would have built it with any of the others cause I like such projects.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike and Chuck,

I don't even know what a JP1 interface is! I do know that I don't want to go through any hassle to set a Universal remote up to work properly (afterall, this is why I want one). I have located another "All for One" remote at J & R for $50.00 called the URC8780. It appears to be the big brother of the Cinema 7, except It consolidates 8 remotes and is backlit with a small LCD screen at the top. I would prefer this one if it can be utilized without the JP1 interface like the Cinema 7.

Please let me know guys,

Reg

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The 8780 is one of the OFA's that I haven't had the chance to check out. To the best of my knowledge, it does support advanced codes. remotecentral.com is still a good place to ask questions on any of the OFA models. (I have noticed fellow HTF'er Philip Hamm uses one of the Produer 8 models and seems to like it alot.) Here's the link to the 8780's web info http://www.oneforall-int.com/ussite/...e/URC_8780.htm

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
I think that's a producer 8 series as well, which means that it will do everything that the other remotes mentioned do, EXCEPT when you get into the realm of JP1 and connecting it to your computer, where there's just not as much support (it uses a different processor, among a few other differences).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks