What's new

Denon AVR, No Test Tone (1 Viewer)

rkruz3

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
I have a Denon AVR-4500h that suddenly will not provide a Test Tone. The AVR is working normally, providing decoded audio on all nine speakers and 2 subs, but no test tone on any of those speakers and subs. I have done a hard reset, and still no Test Tone. I have taken it to Denon Service Center and paid to have it repaired...they said Test Tone was working fine but when I brought it home again still no test tone.

Have you ever heard of this situation?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hello and welcome to HTF. That "could" be an indication that the default volume of the test tones are too low to be audible. Have you tried adjusting the master volume when playing the tones? Also, have you run Audyssey since noticing this? Any issues there?

rkruz3

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
You are a genius, and I am an idiot! Yes, that worked! By master volume, do you mean the knob on the right? I had not realized there was no Setup control for the master volume and it is only this analog front panel control. I'm so happy you replied. This also explains why I felt I had to raise the volume during normal usage more than I had remembered. The knob must have been rotated CCW by accident. Now that I set the Master Volume to about 70%, everything seems normal again!
Denon Online Support nor the Denon Repair Depot (who I paid) mentioned this simple solution.

To your other question, Yes, I had run Audyssey calibration and also other test sources, and all was normal except that the volume seemed lower than I had remembered. Now I know how the volume knob works!
Thank you so much!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You are a genius, and I am an idiot! Yes, that worked!
No, it just means I've made the same mistake! :cool: We're all learning as we go.
Denon Online Support nor the Denon Repair Depot (who I paid) mentioned this simple solution.
That's pretty sad on their part. There are lots of smart folks here at HTF helping each other every day. Hopefully you won't need Denon support again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks