Denon AVR-885S vs. Onkyo TX-SR702S

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Raasean Asaad, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Maybe you guys can help me out a bit, I have a bunch of Amazon gift certs courtesy of my job (320.00) so I'm going to use them plus a few bucks to get a new receiver and have narrowed my choices down to these two:

Denon AVR-885S
    Onkyo TX-SR702S

I have never had a Denon receiver byt I did have an old Onkyo for a while and was quite plesed with it. I have heard great things about both products and was wondering i any current owners of either could let me know what they think.

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I have been looking at the 602. nice prices on some decent onkyo receivers.

I have a 494 and still does the job nicely!

would love to hear what people think of these.

3. Tingwe

Tingwe Stunt Coordinator

save some money and buy the pio 1014 [​IMG]

4. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

the pioneer is a nice unit. the onkyo 602 is not expensive though and can be found under $350 online

5. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

The 602 doesn't do composite/s-video to component upconversion. May be something to consider. It will upconvert composite to s-video but not to component. The 702 will however.

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I wouldnt even consider that a thought when making a purchase. anyone with a dedicated HT I would think would be running everything component.

but everyone has their stroke.......

I hope your not watching s-video or worse composite on a projector. yuck!

I save all the other junk for my Sony Wega and thats not hooked into a receiver.[​IMG]

7. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Well you never said you had a projector or a dedicated theater so I was just throwing that out there. My DVD is the only thing I have that I can use component with. Everything else is S-video. I don't have a high def TV either so it doesn't really matter since the only way to get high def signals is from satellite where I live.

8. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

everything I have is Component. my Sony Wega XBR800 is an HDTV. [​IMG]

we got cable here. I guess if you cant you dont have a choice. but it still wouldnt be a priority in my purchase. but it would help if I were in your situation.

9. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

We're supposed to get hi-def cable here soon but until we do I'm not worried about a hi-def tv. Hopefully the prices will continue to plummet whilst I wait. [​IMG]

On another note, I helped a friend set up his new 702 a few days ago and its a very nice receiver. One feature I couldn't find was input naming. My old Onkyo 777 had it but I couldn't find it on the 702. That is a very nice feature that I wish my Denon had. The receiver sounded awesome compare to the old pro-logic sony he had. We used the auto set up feature and it EQ'd it very crazy tho. It was very high pitched. My uneducated guess on this would be that the Bose 301 fronts he has lack high freqeuncy output and the receiver tried to compensate. All the other speakers were Pioneer. He will be upgrading soon hopefully tho so we just disabled the EQ till then.