Denon AVR-884

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by kyle_k, Feb 29, 2004.

1. kyle_k

kyle_k Auditioning

Well my old trusty Sony STR-D1011, has played its last song, so I am looking for a replacement.

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the Denon AVR-884. My only concern is the 6ohm output instead on 8.

Does anyone have any other suggestions without going too crazy on the cost. I am looking for something that puts out decent wattage and yet does not break the bank. My speakers are getting old also, but I am not going to replace them right now.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Kyle

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Look at JVC........ a lot of bang for the buck!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What do you mean by "6 ohm output"? The receiver will put out power across all impedence levels (though it wouldn't be stable at lower than 4 ohms). The manufacturer simply is stating a power rating based on an impedence of 6 ohms because you get higher numbers that way.

4. kyle_k

kyle_k Auditioning

So they are just stating that the power rating is at 6ohm... So it would be less at 8 correct?

So what do you guys think of the receiver? To me it seems nice for the money. Not sure if I could do much better for the price. I have found it for $311.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The 884 is a variant of the 1804 -- I think sold in only certain outlets (hence, the different model designation). And the 1804 is a solid entry-level unit. (I have last year's 1803 serving as the nerve center of my bedroom system. Great little box.)

6. kyle_k

kyle_k Auditioning

So is there a better option? I do like Denon they make great stuff, but is there a better model to look into? I am looking to stay around $500 or so.

7. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

I recently bought the Denon 1804 for $400 shipped. I'm fairly happy with it. To me it sounded better than the Yamahas and Sony's at that price level.