What's new

Denon AVR 883, volue (1 Viewer)

DmitryS

Auditioning
Hello.

I just set up Denon AVR883 receiver, and have some questions that friendly users like you may be able to answer.

1.What is up with the volume? I start DVD player and comfortable volume level is at –25. For SAT/TV is at –20. The volume range of the receiver is –70 to 18. Is this normal or my settings are not correct?
2.What is TONE DEF? Should I have it on or off?
3.I get Digital displayed on the display when watching DVD, however, I do not get Dolby Digital (logo) on the display. It is right under the Dolby Surround (orange logo). Do I need to set the DVD to DD, DTS bit stream?
4.I use BOSE Acoustmas 6. Should the speakers be Small or Large?
5.Do I need to adjust level for each speaker independently, and what should it be?

These receivers get more and more complicated each year. So I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yes, these receivers do get more and more confusing. But they also sound better, IMO...

1. Yes, your volume is absolutely in the range many of us see for Denon receivers. Depending on the source, I see from -20 to -8 or so. The volume has a large range to allow you to get things really honed in. IMO, much better than a control that makes course jumps...

2. Tone Def - That's what many refer to me as. Sorry! ;)
It really refers to Tone Defeat. IOW, allow the tone controls to be available or not. Tone Def on = no tone controls. Off = you have them available. (Except 2 channel Direct mode. Tone controls are always bypassed in Direct.

3. There could be more than one setting causing this. 1st make sure that you are indeed playing a 5.1 disc. Anything else will play as Pro Logic.) Then make sure your DVD player's menu (NOT the disc's) is set to play both DD and DTS from it's digital output. Finally, make sure the receiver is set to Auto input mode. It will choose the right playback mode based on the signal it receives (it will give priority to digital signals.)

4. As the Bose manual shows, the correct way to hookup the Bose is to run the wire with the multi-pin connector from the receiver to the bass module and then from the bass module on to the speakers (using all of the separate wires.) (BTW, you DO want to hookup the subwoofer cable at the receiver.) Then, as shown on page 13 of the Bose manual, set the speaker size setting on the Denon receiver to all "Large" with the subwoofer "On". The Bose bass module will handle the bass management for the satellites. Do NOT hookup the satellite modules directly to the speaker connections on the Denon! Your setup will not function correctly and you could even damage your satellites from too much bass if you do!

5. Yes, you should balance the sound from each speaker so that they all play at the same volume when you run the receiver's test tone. This procedure is outlined in your receiver's manual as part of the initial setup. Just follow these balancing procedures closely. Since your speaker cubes are all identical, you should not need to make large changes. Speaker placement will be your biggest factor in level differences. I'd leave each channel adjustment around the zero setting (or as close as you can.) Nothing is to be gained by running these individual channels up to their maximums (or close to the maximums.) You'll have plenty of volume by leaving them at zero and still have room to tweak them up or down some later if you choose to. Also check your Bose manual on level setup for advice on how to tweak the bass module's blend to the rest of the system. (BTW, be sure you have your speakers correctly installed before you do this. Otherwise, you'll need to go back and do it again...)

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks