Denon AVR-65 basic help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mitchell, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Keith Mitchell

Keith Mitchell Auditioning

I feel kinda ridiculous asking, but I seem to be having trouble getting a Digital signal for my Denon AVR-65 receiver. I've got my VCR, CD, DVD and PLaystation input to my receiver, coax between DVD and receiver (with analog disconnected), and a single video line between receiver and TV. The analog signal (5.1 channel) works just fine but the minute I switch to digital, nothing....digital EVERYTHING is quiet: Pro Logic, 5.1 channel. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong.....anyone offer a step that I'm missing?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Keith. Welcome to HTF![​IMG]
    Check your receiver manual on the digital hookup from a DVD player. Many receivers have settings like: ANALOG, DIGITAL, AUTO to either force it to select one type of input or let it Auto Select.
    And if you have both optical and coaxial digital connections, you sometimes have to tell the receiver which one to expect for the "DVD" source.
    Likewise, some DVD players let you pick analog or digital output, but not necessarally both so check this manual if the receiver appears to be set correctly.
    Start with an ordinary CD in the DVD player with the digital connection hooked up. Mess with the settings until you get sound. Then pop in a DVD, make sure to select the DD 5.1 track and let the movie start. Your receiver should switch it's display to DD/Dolby Digital AFTER the movie starts. (Few DVD's produce Dolby Digital signal for the menu or even the intro-credits.)
    Hope this helps.

3. Keith Mitchell

Keith Mitchell Auditioning

Thanks for the help....unfortunately, the receiver is NOT deciding for itself to switch to digital once the movie starts. My guess is that I'm just setting it up incorrectly....though it was my understanding that the receiver would decode the digital signal automatically, with assigning input names. Maybe Denon is different like that. I'm not using a separate video line, only a coax cable between the DVD and receiver....I'll worry about the picture as soon as I can figure out the sound! [​IMG]

4. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

have you assigned the digital input that you're using to a specific video input?