What's new

Denon AVR-590 HDMI to DVI kills audio??? (1 Viewer)

czap2364

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
My man cave has a 60" Sony DLP tv with 1080i ability, but its through a DVI-d connector. I just purchased a Denon AVR-590 and when I plugged HDMI cables from my PS3 and Satellite box, no audio comes out the speakers. I understand there is no audio output to the tv speakers due to the DVI conversion cable, but why no audio at all?

To make things weirder I turned off the TV with my sat still on and the audio came on through the speakers just fine. The menu has hdmi audio setting to AMP, (though tv made no difference). On my PS3 I have no audio connection at all, whether the TV is on or off.

The tuner works and the speakers sound good, also I did the auto speaker set up already. Any help?

Cliff notes:
Sat and PS3 to AVR (via HDMI) and AVR to TV (via HDMI to DVI-d) but no audio unless tv is off.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It must be some kind of handshaking issue caused by the TV. That stuff can get pretty unpredictable. Your only solution may be to use a separate digital audio connection, or get a new TV.

The one thing I can think of is to turn off the hdmi audio pass-through (the name for this feature may be different from that) in the receiver set-up, assuming it has that feature, but it seems most current receivers with hdmi audio do. Basically what you are doing is telling the receiver NOT to pass the audio on through the hdmi chain to the TV. You can't use it anyway, since you are then converting the hdmi to DVI.

czap2364

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Optical audio cable was cheaper than a new tv, I found that is the only way to get it to work.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That or a digital rca cable or analog rca to the tv would be the only way to get audio to your tv. While HDMI has both audio and video in the same cable, DVI does not have that capability! DVI has allways been just video and has never had the ability to transfer audio. So when you take HDMI and adapt it over to DVI the audio goes no further than the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zukz15
Recent bookmarks