What's new

Denon AVR-5803 in stock at Crutchfield for $4300. (1 Viewer)

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
3,299 indeed for the 5803.

I also got a price quote of $999 on the new denon 3800 DVD

and the a quote of 2,800 on the new denon 9000 DVD player.

looks like a 5803 + 9000 combo is going to run you 6K...

Too rich for my blood.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Alex Yang said:

I just finished auditioning their BOTH the Pioneer 49TX and DENON AVR-5803
And??? How did you think they compared?

So $3300 for the 5803 and I paid $2500 for my 49TX. I can do a lot with my $800 so the 5803 better kick ass.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
Time to start putting in some extra hours :)
Since you listened to both the 5803 and the 49TX, what were your thoughts on each unit?
I would love to see an in depth head-to-head review.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, Paul,
I'll be honest, I really REALLY liked the DENON, biased going into the store first with the DENON in mind but since the Pioneer was there I said why the hell not...
Sonically speaking the TWO were very close in sound BUT the DENON sounded a little more spacious more "ambient" than the Pioneer using the same equipment DVD player, PIONEER Elite and NHT speakers, I didn't have my sound meter to play with so I don't know if the sound pressure was the same or not... :frowning: The Pioneer sounded a bit more forward, brighter but the DENON sounded WARMER/FULLER more pleasing at least to my ears... Maybe the NHT speakers mate better to the DENON than the Pioneer or maybe it's bias, I really don't know for sure. BUT please do take what I say with a grain of salt...
DVD's I brought with me to test out, Forest Gump, the Feather Sequence "piano solo", Dragon Heart (Draco flying around in a circle over Dennis Quaid, The Rock MOST of it!!!! :), Billy Joel CD, Beethoven's 5th & 9th, 1812 Overture...
If ever you guys were in J&R you know how cramped and crowded this place is, and of course I could NOT cordone off the room all to myself just to audition for a long time... :frowning: Most of the time I had to compete with other salespeople "switching" out the gear for me while in the middle of demo and it's just way, way, WAY too hard to do any more critical listening...
BOTTOM line this is is my opinion, please do yourselves the favor and take the time out to audition the units yourselves first if you have a chance... Denon wound up winning on having more BELLS and WHISTLES than the Pioneer... More 7.1 inputs, upgradability, more inputs, better sound, there is at least ONE shining light on the Pioneer 49tx though and that is the AUTO-Calibration feature.... I've read about this but was unable to try it out... :frowning: Both units sounded fantastic and the DENON only sounded better slightly... Is it worth the difference in price, you decide for yourself, if I do decide on Receivers instead of separates, it's DENON all the way baby!!! :)
-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks