What's new

Denon AVR-5800 vs. B&K AVR307.... (1 Viewer)

Hello all! A newbie here. Just found the site a week ago and this is my first post. This is a GREAT site!
I am thinking of upgrading from my current receiver(Denon 3300)to the 4802 or 5800. My question for the folks that may have a familiarity with B&K products, is which do you prefer from a sound quality standpoint, 5800 or 307? Not concerned with flexibility, growth, etc. as I know either would be a step above the 3300 in those areas. Not too concerned with music at this point, mainly movie soundtracks.
My current system consists of the above receiver, the Denon DVD-3300(which I am replacing with the DVD-2800 most likely, now that they are back in stock, or RP91/Sony9000,something progressive), and Klipsch SF-2 fronts, Klipsch KSW12 powered sub(soon to be replaced by SVS), Klipsch center and Klipsch di-pole surrounds.
I look forward to your input and Thanks to all.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jordan,
You'll find many defenders on both sides of the track.
The truth is, they are both phenomenal receivers. Have you had a chance to listen to both? This is a must before you plunk down that much coin.
The Denon is the leader in features, however, there is a possible upgrade route for both. The B&K does have bass management (universal) which the Denon lacks...supposedly this will be in the optional upgrade package on the way for the 5800....basically the same ingredients that the "new" 4802 has.
You did mention you don't care about the upgrade paths, so I'll quit there.
I prefer the sound of the 5800, because, like you, I was a former 3300 owner. I love the sound of Denon's receivers and I'm familiar with them. These made it a simple choice for me. There are others that prefer the "Mosfet" sound of the B&K.
IMO, you can't go wrong with either receiver, especially driving something as simple as Klipsch (high sensitivity).
You'll get a sh#@tload of sound out of whichever you choose.
I would recommend carting some CDs, DVDs, LPs, down to your local B&Ms and spend a couple hours auditioning each. If you can get an in home audition, this is the best case scenario....match them with your speakers.
If you do a search on this site, you'll find a ton of threads labeled the exact same way you labeled this one. :)
Jeremy,
BTW, welcom to HTF
[Edited last by Jeremy Hegna on August 01, 2001 at 06:29 PM]

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jordan, welcome... Like Jeremy said, ya can't go wrong with either one really. I chose the B&K 307 but, coulda easily bought the Denon 5800. They're both at the very top of the heap. My salesman (Jimmy C.-Deptford,NJ)at Tweeter leaned me towards the B&K (he has the 202) I listened to both and liked the warmth of the Mosfet amps a little more in the B&K. I mean, man, lol, it was close! Shit, i almost flipped a coin...hahaha. Either way, ya can't go wrong IMO. Good luck and go listen!
- Chip
------------------

Robert George

Screenwriter
I would only add that the somewaht "warmer" character of the B&K might be a better match for the Klipsch speakers.

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
My two cents worth: The above replies are correct; either choice won't be regretted. I chose the B&K and like the sound enough that I bought additional amps. The B&K may be available somewhat cheaper than the Denon. The Denon has more formats, but I have not been impressed with the software currently available for ES decoding of 7.1; not much comes out of the rear surrounds. I personally prefer the EX matrixed approach- but that's another subject. I have found the B&K tech support staff accessible and competent (try Jerry at ext. 21).
FWIW, in my experience these big receivers/amps benefit from dedicated power circuits: I've installed two- one for the 307 and one for the 7250. These multichannel amps like the two you are considering must make some compromises in the power supply area. They will sound better at high levels if there is plenty iof juice available.

Andrew P

Second Unit
I have owned both the Denon 5800 and the B&K 307. I prefer the sound of the B&K, but for $2,000 plus id go the separate route which is what I have now. The B&K Ref 30 is a wonderful pre-amp for the price. You can even match it with the Outlaw amp for about $3,000.
Andy

I knew I could count on some great input on this, Thank You. I was a Denon dealer back in the '80's(Klipsch too, since late '70's), and have been a loyal fan of both since. From '89 until last year, I had pretty much distanced myself from audio altogether, but now I seem to have a renewed interest. The upgrade bug has really bitten me since I stumbled accross the HomeTeaterSpot a month ago and especially in the week that I have been here. Feels good!
I have always liked the warmer/richer sound of Denon as opposed to others in the same class(i.e. Yam./Onk.). But, if I am going to put down this kind of money, I feel I have to at least audition the B&K, and give it the consideration which it is due.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Both are excellent receivers and one wouldn't go wrong with either. The Denon has more whistles and bells, but the B&K has very flexible bass management which is invaluable, in my opinion. I also think the B&K sounds better and has better build quality. As mentioned above, its slightly warmer sound would mate well with your bright Klipsch speakers.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have always liked the warmer/richer sound of Denon as opposed to others in the same class(i.e. Yam./Onk.). But, if I am going to put down this kind of money, I feel I have to at least audition the B&K, and give it the consideration which it is due.
You just answered your own question!
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I just have to say............a little birdie told me that the 5800 will have adjustable low frequency crossover(believe it will be 60 and 40)in the upcoming hardware package upgrade. There is much more that I heard, but I have to mention this because as a 5800 owner who also listened to the 307, I am just sick and tired about hearing how the 307 has better bass management
tongue.gif
:). They are both awesome recievers, but I think that should settle the question once and for all which is top dog. Then again, I know it won't..
laugh.gif

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Sell both, Love both...you will notice that because both units have great amps that people choose with regaurds to what speakers they listened to the amps on, or in regaurds to what speakers they might be using at home... i choose the avr307 largely because of the bass mngmnt issue(it is, regaurdless of what others would have you believe, VERY usefull) allowing me to set not only crossover frequencies (many diff. selections)but also set the hp & lp slope as well as a notch filter that allows me to "dial-in" my room sooooooo wonderfully!Bottom line, you'll like either one...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I just have to say............a little birdie told me that the 5800 will have adjustable low frequency crossover(believe it will be 60 and 40)in the upcoming hardware package upgrade. There is much more that I heard, but I have to mention this because as a 5800 owner who also listened to the 307, I am just sick and tired about hearing how the 307 has better bass management
Did the little birdie told you that the 5800 won't have continiously adjustable xo points and slopes only fixed,and on the B&K this is independent to any of the 7 channels?
While we could debate sound quality between the two till the cows come home,and it still remains just a subjective opinion.The advanced BM on the B&K is a real world feature which can optimize any speaker system period!
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

J

John Morris

Hmmmm? Did that birdie also tell you that the upgrade to the $2800 Denon 5800 might also cost up to $1000 to install and initiate?
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
John, where exactly did you hear that it would cost $1,000?!?!?!! for the upgrade?
confused.gif
It will not be 49.95, I'll admit, but a $1,000? Come on......I do not who told you that, but they are sadly mistaken. I heard it will be 3 figures....but very low figures at that. I mentioned a little of what I had heard, but I'm trying not to get my source in trouble(he's valuable to me :)). I'll try to let out more info as I can.........

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Come on John...that was a rumor, and it was a Canadian $ figure.
The hardware upgrade approach may be a bit spendier that Onkyo's upgrade, but not a grand. Also, the 5800 is firewire ready, which the B&K is not. The 5800 has a DPLII upgrade on the way, haven't heard anything on the B&K. The 5800 already has DTS-ES discreet, where's the info on the B&K?
Most, I repeat, most using the B&K 307 are finding that 80hz is the perfect place to crossover your speakers, just as THX has figured out :) Not that BM isn't a wonderful feature. There are pre-pros that cost twice as much that don't have an adjustable X-over.
Why the hell does this argument always turn into mine's better than yours?
Jeremy

Andrew P

Second Unit
In fairness, Jeremy how do you know most people with the B&K are using the 80hz crossover point? Did you poll all the people on this board or all the owners across the country??? :)
Andy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
More of a sarcastic note, gents...there's a smiley face after the THX, re-reading it, I see it hardly makes sense.
I'd love bass management on my 5800, but supposedly, it's on the way! I just hate seeing this argument get to the point where...."well, mine has this and yours doensn't!"
They're both sweet choices, what one lacks the other has.
Peace, no flames here
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks