What's new

Denon AVR-5700 and AC-3 RF input for Laserdisc. Help! (1 Viewer)

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I need help getting AC-3 RF input of Denon AVR-5700 receiver to work with a laserdisc player.

I've connected RF AC-3 output from laserdisc player to RF AC-3 input of the receiver, and digital coax out from laserdisc player to digital coax 1 of the receiver for PCM and DTS sounds. According to the manual, it almost sounds like it's Plug and Play with the input selection set to VDP and audio selection set to auto. But I couldn't get the receiver to lock on Dolby Digital with AC-3 laserdisc. When set to auto, it just locks on PCM with Dolby Prologic selected. When explicitly set to RF, there is no sound..

This is the second laserdisc player that I'm trying with my receiver. I thought at first the first laserdisc player was bad, and I got a second one. Both LD players can't have bad RF AC-3 inputs at the same time!

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jongyoon

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Did you go into the on-screen menu and assign the VDP digital audio input the correct input that you are using?
ie: VDP=coax 1

Did you check the NOTE Box on page 7 of the users guide?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
The digital inputs are correctly assigned, that's why I'm able to get PCM and DTS sound.

I don't remember what was on page 7 of the users guide. I don't currently have an access to user guide or the receiver at the moment, but I'll check it out when I get home. As I remember, RF digital input is polled when VDP is selected. If any data is on RF it will take precedence over the assigned digital input and analog inputs.

Has anyone gotten 5700 to actually work with LD player? Anyone??

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
In addition to making sure you are using an AC-3 LD, make sure your channel select for your LD player is correct. It doesn't matter what the 5700 is assigned to for its digital inputs when it comes to the VDP - the AC-3 LD feed is going to the built-in RF demod which takes precedence by default.
If that doesn't do it, try changing cables.
Has the your 5700 ever worked with AC-s LD's? I've had mine hooked to several LD players and it works fine. Maybe the RF demod unit in your 5700 is bad...
Good Luck -

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to making sure you are using an AC-3 LD, make sure your channel select for your LD player is correct.
Ok, I'm a bit lost here. What do you mean channel select for the LD player? I've tried toggling analog/digital L/R sounds on the LD player, but it didn't change anything. Do I need to select analog right on the audio to get RF AC-3 output to work?
I just got this receiver, and this is the first time I'm trying to hook up the LD player to it. I bought it second handed, and the previous owner probably didn't even have LD player.. As for the cables, I've tried three different ones, all with Canare cables with 75 ohm connectors. I don't have any other digital cables. Part of the reason that I chose AVR 5700 was to get built-in RF demodulator, and if I can't get it to work...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Michael, check the output on the LD, you want to make sure it says something along the lines of "Digital 1/L," which is the RF out on my Pioneer CLD-505. Also, try to just hook up the AC-3 (unhook the DTS/PCM connection) to see if the 5700 can detect the signal at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks