Denon AVR-5700 and AC-3 RF input for Laserdisc. Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jongyoon Lee, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I need help getting AC-3 RF input of Denon AVR-5700 receiver to work with a laserdisc player.

I've connected RF AC-3 output from laserdisc player to RF AC-3 input of the receiver, and digital coax out from laserdisc player to digital coax 1 of the receiver for PCM and DTS sounds. According to the manual, it almost sounds like it's Plug and Play with the input selection set to VDP and audio selection set to auto. But I couldn't get the receiver to lock on Dolby Digital with AC-3 laserdisc. When set to auto, it just locks on PCM with Dolby Prologic selected. When explicitly set to RF, there is no sound..

This is the second laserdisc player that I'm trying with my receiver. I thought at first the first laserdisc player was bad, and I got a second one. Both LD players can't have bad RF AC-3 inputs at the same time!

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jongyoon

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Did you go into the on-screen menu and assign the VDP digital audio input the correct input that you are using?
    ie: VDP=coax 1

Did you check the NOTE Box on page 7 of the users guide?

3. Jongyoon Lee

The digital inputs are correctly assigned, that's why I'm able to get PCM and DTS sound.

I don't remember what was on page 7 of the users guide. I don't currently have an access to user guide or the receiver at the moment, but I'll check it out when I get home. As I remember, RF digital input is polled when VDP is selected. If any data is on RF it will take precedence over the assigned digital input and analog inputs.

Has anyone gotten 5700 to actually work with LD player? Anyone??

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The LDs you are playing are in fact AC-3 LDs, right?

5. Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka Stunt Coordinator

Michael Cucka
    In addition to making sure you are using an AC-3 LD, make sure your channel select for your LD player is correct. It doesn't matter what the 5700 is assigned to for its digital inputs when it comes to the VDP - the AC-3 LD feed is going to the built-in RF demod which takes precedence by default.
    If that doesn't do it, try changing cables.
    Has the your 5700 ever worked with AC-s LD's? I've had mine hooked to several LD players and it works fine. Maybe the RF demod unit in your 5700 is bad...
    Good Luck -

6. Jongyoon Lee

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I agree with Michael, check the output on the LD, you want to make sure it says something along the lines of "Digital 1/L," which is the RF out on my Pioneer CLD-505. Also, try to just hook up the AC-3 (unhook the DTS/PCM connection) to see if the 5700 can detect the signal at all.