What's new

Denon AVR-488 (1 Viewer)

Sailor234

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Grouse
I brought the Denon AVR-488 home and connected front, center and SW. Worked fine in early testing with Cable box signals, CD player and FM tuner.

TV connections: composite video from cable box straight to TV; cable box audio cables to Denon.

That same day, while watching TV a popping sound started in the FL speaker; it grew in volume and frequency until we had to shut it down. Denon power off then on did not correct the noise. It got worse that day and the next.

Then it went away; worked for a week without a problem. Then it came back, exact same symptoms. This time, the FL channel eventually went dead with the noise moving to the FR, which then also went dead.

I've emailed Denon support; they suggested reseting the microprocessor but their instructions did not seem to work. Since the problem recurred, we had no work around and the unit was new, I chose to return it for full refund.

Any ideas on what happened or why?

I still need a AV receiver and have to decide on accepting a replacement or considering something else. Any suggestions on the latter?

Thanks

Ray

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Does the AVR-488 have internal x-overs?If so ,were they engaged?I along time ago had same symptoms in my car audio.Turned out that the x-over set up that was built for me was reversed in one area causing that same popping sound you described at even low volume.Not that familiar with Denon,but as for your other question have you considered New Castle receivers?I have a Onkyo Integra 6.8.Great bang for the buck,however i"m having a problem with processing audio delay apparently not found in Denon.I"m just going to start researching those products.Anyway,
good luck in your upcoming purchace.

Joe..

altamount

Auditioning
Real Name
Rushabh
I have the same receiver. I've had the same problem twice. Luckily I bought the extended warranty (which I typically never do).

They had to replace the DSP board. I suspect I will have the same problem again.

Hopefully I have responded in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks