Denon AVR-4802 vs Outlaw 950/7100

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sal Conigliaro, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Sal Conigliaro

Anyone have any experience with the Denon 4802 vs the Outlaw 950/7100 combo?

The Denon has more sound processing features (THX certified), but the
    Outlaw has more power (200W x 7 vs 125W vs 7).

I really like my 4802. Just pondering a separates upgrade.....

Sal

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

If you really like your 4802 then stay that way. This will be the best piece of advice you will ever receive. Believe me once you are into this hobby and a couple of years down the road you will be wishing you had listened to me.

Rule of thumb: If you are happy and content with your present system dont even think of upgrading.

3. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Why not just add an amp to your 4802 set-up. I have the same receiver and I found a Parasound 2205at open box sale and it gave the 4802 all the power it needed to bring my system alive.

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

The Outlaw 7100 amp is 100x7 @ 8ohms. I agree with Yogi though. If you are happy with the 4802, then stick with it. Personally, I don't think the THX processing modes are very useful but the 4802 is no doubt a great piece of equipment. I'm content with my Outlaw 950 and won't be upgrading anytime soon.

5. Sal Conigliaro

Yeah, I know the slippery slope of 'upgraditis'. I was toying with adding two of the Outlaw 'M' blocks for my L/R mains, too. That probably makes the most sense.

Sal

6. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>Rule of thumb: If you are happy and content with your present system dont even think of upgrading. <

What a great rule, Can imgaine Sal switching to the Outlaw combo, and then ground loop strikes or something else happens.

>Denon 4802 vs the Outlaw 950/7100 <

I don't have the golden ears so I rely on S&V to help me evaluate gear. More out of curiosity than anything else since I am happy with my Yam 2095 and would not notice a difference if I switched equipment. I can't remember if the 4802 was evaluated by S&V but I would bet any Denon that has been on their lab bench has beat the 950 hands down in noise measurements. I would also bet the amps in the 4802 would give the 7100 a run for it's money. I have noted the 1050 and 950 have both been evaluated by S&V but none of the Outlaw amps have been submitted. I would much enjoy reading a review of one of the Outlaw amps.

Bob

7. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

Sal,

I currently own the Denon 4802 and like yourself I have been thinking about upgrading this piece. Rather than spend a whole lot of money I went and bought the B&K 200.5 amp and used the 4802 as a pre/pro. You should start out this way and see if you like the difference it makes. I think the 4802 will sound just as good if not better than the Outlaw combo. I though the test bench agrees. The amp really did help out my sound and opened up a whole new can of worms with the upgraditis. Just my 2 c worth.

Ted

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Bob, here is a link to a review of the 7100. This isn't S&V but I figure Secrets is pretty well respected.

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Secrets is a better publication IMHO than S&V.

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sal:

If you are happy with the features of the 4802 I agree that adding a few Outlaw monoblocks or the 750/770 power amps would be your best choice. You would get the sound you are used to with the Denon but with a lot more head room.

The 950 is a great preamp and I recommend it without reservation to anyone wanting to go the separates route. But the 4802 is a great unit and adding more power in the way of a power amp or monoblocks would just be icing on the cake.

Parker

12. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

There is a review in this month's Home Theater Magazine of the 950 and 770 combo. In their tests, the amp beats it's ratings.

13. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Sal:

You own one excellent A/V Receiver. Got some fair advice in this thread, although too focused on the Outlaw products. There is one combo mentioned here that I know kicks-ass 'cause I've heard the amp in full swing, it is the Parasound HCA 2205A.

Although I posted somewhere else I'm planning to add a Rotel 1075 to my Yamaha DSP-1, at almost twice the price, the Parasound is a blast! Having said that, we all have our sonic preferences.

Enjoy.

JaimeB