What's new

Denon AVR-4802 MSRP (1 Viewer)

Andrew P

Second Unit
I think $1,200 list for that dvd player is over-priced especially with the new Kenwoods and the Panasonic rp91.
It also seems that Denon could be eating into their 5800 sales with the introduction of the 4802. They should release the 4802 as a pre/pro. I would buy that peice in a minute.
Andy

Luis M

Second Unit
$2500 for the 4802? Why not make it a cool $3000, it will make denon a better company.... I am sure.

Randy G

Second Unit
Denon makes too much money to separate the receiver pre-pro from the amps. As an example, I'd guess the street value of a 5800 pre-pro(without DPL II) would be about $1400 and the 5800 amp about $1000. That brings street value of a combined unit to about $2400(my opinion). The problem is that Denon would have to build 2 complete boxes, and THAT would cut heavily into profits.
Just my opinion.
[Edited last by Randy G on August 03, 2001 at 12:03 AM]

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
So the list price of the 4802 is the same price one can buy the 5800 for if they look hard enough..Hmmm.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new digital pictures!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I suspect the high price has a lot to do with the Pronto wanna-be remote. Without it, the 4802 would fall in at $2000MSRP, right where the 4800 was.
Todd

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
As we all know, the street price for these pieces will be significantly cheaper. I think the 4802's $2500 is a bit steep myself, but it will be available over the internet for a decent price. The actual cost of the 4802 is twice the cost of a 3802, by the way.
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Is the 4802 still a 5 amp receiver?
I'd still think the 3802 with a 3 CH amp for L/C/R is a better buy than the 4800.
But, I don't know the specs on the new 4802.
And the Denon Aktis remote should be "optional". It is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Save the money and buy a Pronto.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".
[Edited last by GregoriusM on August 05, 2001 at 04:48 PM]

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I believe the 4802 is 125 watts per channel x 7. It is, as the old 4800 was, THX Ultra certified.
I am thinking of trying the sound of the old POA-5200 ( 2 channel THX Ultra amp) with the 3802 and see if that will bring the sound closer to the 4800.
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Chip E

Screenwriter
For that price, i'd buy the 5800 for sure, Pronto clone included or not... and hell, that's coming from a guy that owns a B&K 307.
- Chip
------------------

GregoriusM

Second Unit
You'd buy the 5800 or the 4802?
Remember, the 4800 was tested by one of the magazines at 148 w/channel all channels driven at 20Hz-20kHz, so the amps were underrated at 125 watts.
Whereas the 3801 was at 87w/ch for all seven channels and 92w/ch for for 5 of the seven.

Eric Lo

Agent
Wow, if the MSRP of Denon AVR-4802 is $2500, what will the MSRP of the upcoming AVR-5802 be ? I think Denon is really pushing the envelope of the receiver pricing game if it will be anywhere more than that of the AVR-5800!
Link Removed
-- Eric
[Edited last by Eric Lo on August 05, 2001 at 08:04 PM]

What's the skinny on the DVD-4800? Had not heard about it.I just bought the 2800 this afternoon. I have some time to return it, so some input, if anyone has any on the new machine would be most helpful. Thanks.

I apologize for the above post if it is the DVM-4800 multi-disc we are talking about. Not interested in a multi-disc unit.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
No offense intended, but I've heard a lot of complaints about the Denon AVR 5800 (upgradability issues, retail price, etc.) but nobody seems to care that the Marantz SR14EX at $4500 is still the most expensive receiver out there...(didn't debut with DTS ES or amplification for the surround backs, but at least had some added convenience features) I guess that the Marantz is so ridiculously priced that nobody on this forum purchased it and so there's nothing to discuss or debate about it. But, it seems to me that the Marantz is the one that's truly "pushing the high end receiver envelop".
I have to confess that I don't know too much about the Marantz, its upgrade issues and its overall sound compared to the Denon (no pubilication has actually did any real comprehensive comparison - the closest thing was WSR stating that the AVR 5800 is still their reference receiver)
Given Denon's past and present product line up, their marketing stragegy and product price points, they are really a Japanese boutique manufacturer with a large lineup of products, so they have to charge premium prices to continue their "BMW" image....Marantz, on the other hand, IS BMW....
MHO
Elbert

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Given Denon's past and present product line up, their marketing stragegy and product price points, they are really a Japanese boutique manufacturer with a large lineup of products, so they have to charge premium prices to continue their "BMW" image....Marantz, on the other hand, IS BMW....
Then you never drove a "Bimmer".
The "ultimate driving machine" among top receiver makers is: B&K!
Remember! Emphasize sport over luxury![Don't need no stinking gold finish]
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Oh Contrare - I did drive a BMW for a few years. Loved driving it. Just like Marantz - love the product. My point is there are a lot of people arguing over the merits of products based PURELY on FEATTURES (DTS, DPLII, DD, THX [although they discount the value of THX], etc.) then the AVR 5800 is not the only receiver in the $4000 price range. The Marantz @ $4500 has less features and less amplification and nobody says anything remarkable about its performance AND nobody seems to complain that its the most expensive receiver out there PERIOD. There's definitely a line drawn at the AVR5800 , which makes it a upper "everyman's" product and everything priced above, including Marantz, to be truly high end and therefore above criticism.
To be fair, we can't criticize what we don't own, so I guess we'll hear few complaints about KRELLS, Lexicons (still don't know of anyone who upgraded their DC-1), Thetas, Meridians, and Marantz SR14EX.......
Elbert

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Elbert I see your point and agree with it,I was just disagreeing with your car comparison.
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

J

John Morris

At $2400, a B&K 307 can be had... IMO, possibly superior to the Denon AVR-4802. It is hard for me to understand why Denon would even come out with such an unsellable unit at their MSRP... UNLESS, they want to sell it via the non B&M stores, at a highly discounted price. Hmmm, maybe this will be Walmarts initial blockbuster item from Denon???
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on August 06, 2001 at 10:17 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks