What's new

Denon AVR-4802 As A Preamp? Check This Review (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Secret's has done it again:
Link Removed
on a personal note...donate money to me.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Secret's does it again! :)
Some comments:
1) And you can get a 4802 for a street price of $1700 - $1900 too!
2) And, it has DPL II (and DTS-ES), *now*, unlike the $3200 Anthem pre-amp, that you have to spend another $300 and wait about 4 more months for the upgrade...
3) And, the reviewer specifically pointed out that it does have at least 1 sound field that supports a 6.1 speaker system for "std" DD/DTS 5.1 DVDs.
4) And, doesn't seem to have the problem that Onkyo has with dropouts, and the noise (and other problems) that the x200 line from Marantz has.
Dang, I wish Denon would do another pre/pro... :D

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Re-reading the review, I found it interesting that the reviewer didn't evaluate or mention what I consider to be one of the 4802, and for that matter the 5800, strongest attributes, "Pure Direct Mode".

However his observation and evaluation of the improvement good separate amps bring to the table reconfirmed my experiences as well.

Regards,

geo

TomH

Second Unit
Tempting. That is the first time I have seen a receiver used as a pre/pro rated comparable to a fairly high end pre/pro.

Cost aside, would the 4802 or the 950 be the better choice?

How much heat do on-board amps produce if they are not driving a load?

Tom

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Geoh,

How are you?!

You own or have owned the Denon 4802, Sony DA5ES, and Onkyo 989 right? Can you rate/rank them in terms of:

1) sonic prowess as a prepro: AC3, DTS, DPL2 surround processing, resolution, steering, dynamics.

2) overall user friendliness: setup, flexibility, menus.

I don't really care about 2 channel performance, internal amplification, or differences in extra features (ie, built-in ac3 demod, two 5.1/7.1 inputs, etc).

Thanks,

Ricky

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I'm using the 4802 as a sort of pre/pro in my main system now. I say sort of pre/pro because I'm using external amps for the front stage (mains & center) and using the built in amps of the 4802 for the surrounds and back channels. This seems to take some stress away from the 4802, or any other receiver I've used, and allows it to drive the surrounds effortlessly.
In my experience with the 4802, it runs fairly cool even when using all the onboard amps.
Ricky,
I don't own the Onkyo 989 but I do own the 898.
I have been rotating the 898, DA5ES and the 4802 through my system for about a month now. I'm getting good at hooking up and unhooking :)
They are each excellent performers, it's just that the 4802 has proven to be a little more excellent than the others.
It's almost painful when the 4802 isn't in there, almost.
2) overall user friendliness: setup, flexibility, menus
User friendliness is not where the 4802 shines, at least not until you've spent many, many hours playing with it. I do however like the fact that one glimpse at the front panel display revels if you are running surround A, surround B, both and if the back speakers are being utilized..... very cool.... It also tells you via little lights if you are in DD, DTS or Pure Direct. The 898 however wins here. The 898 also wins in setup and menus. Even my wife can almost figure out the 898 menus and remote(not sure I like my wife figuring out my stuff however)........;)
Some things I wish the 4802 had:
2 multi channel analog inputs
bass management for those inputs
DA5ES bass management
gold connectors
remote is powerful but clumsy
Bottom line
4802 - Spectacular Spectacular
DA5ES - Spectacular
898 - not spectacular but good...............
Regards,
geo

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Thanks Geo. Now, I need to find out how close the prepro section of the 898 is to my THX Ultra 989 (which still is the only proven upgradeable receiver to date!), and if HK's Logic 7 sounds better than DPL2. I too use external amps to drive my mains and rears (gotta love those citations!).

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
After reading the review I was in full agreement......especially about spending hours on the set up. I love my 4802 just wish it was little more user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks