1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon avr 4800 & multi rooms :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith W, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Keith W

Keith W Auditioning

built my house last Oct and i am now just getting to installing the outdoor speakers over patio and in-ceiling speakers in den & bathrooms. the avr 4800 has performed exceptional with my HT setup (M&K 750 system, but i come to find out that i have to have another receiver to run any other speakers.
    is this true?? is there a way around that where i can just use the avr 4800 to run more speakers?
    if i do have to buy another receiver what would you recommend? and how do i hook it up?
    really wish i would have done more research about this, kinda dissapointed that the avr 4800 can only run one set of speakers [​IMG]
    thanks for any help!
    Keith

2. RyanMM

RyanMM Extra

I do not think you would need another receiver just another amp. b/c I thought that the 4800 had multi-room capability.

3. Charbel

Charbel Agent

I don`t know about the Denon but I have an Onlyo 787 AV receiver and can watch TV,listen to FM,DVD, etc. in the home theater room while listening to another source in another room. Having said that, I can`t listen in STILL another area of the house unless I have some kind of switching device for the other rooms.
    So even if you could listen to the speakers in your den, you would have to somehow "switch" the speaker wires to the patio, bathrooms etc. (maybe a speaker selector) about $100-$200
    I hope I`m making sense so far? If you really want a whole house audio system and you`re wired for it already? You can get an amp specifically for that application. Niles offers them and Parasound among others. Kustom 6 is a relatively inexpensive one also. If you go that route you can play ANY of your devices in any or all of your rooms simultaneously.
    BTW does you Denon say multi room multi source? if so I would think you go to the "zone 2" and "select source" and that should do it. Also if you are connected only digitally I don`t think you will get sound in your second zone. I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THAT LAST STATEMENT.
    Well sorry for the long post but I hope some of it made sense and helped. Good Luck

4. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

See pages 11, 43, 44, and 45 in the manual. If you do not have a manual you can find one on the Denon web site.
    You will need an integrated amp for the other room. Amp recommendations are a dime a dozen. Before anyone can recommend an amp there are some questions to be answered:
    what is your budget?
    how many channels do you need to drive?
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

5. Keith W

Keith W Auditioning

hey THANKS guys! at work right now but i will look at manual pages when i get home.
    i have 3 other sets of speaker to run. den, master bedroom and outdoor. i don't want to spend a ton of money, but i don't want to have to go buy another amp in 2 years either.
    so i understand...what i need is an amplifier and not another receiver....correct?
    really appreciate the help here guys!
    Keith

6. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

On the AVR-4800 you can only run one multi channel out. You could use three amps with this by splitting the signal three ways but all three would play the same source. I'd suggest the Denon PMA-2000R for an integrated amplifier.
    Another alternative is to use the multi channel out for two of the amplifiers and the pre outs for the other amplifier. You could then listen to one source on the multi channel out and another source on the AVR-4800 & the pre outs.
    Of course you could always spring for another receiver. Running three sets of speakers from the AVR-4800 sounds like a pretty tall order for the receiver to fill.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------