What's new

Denon AVR-4306 or Outlaw 990/7125 combo? Which one? (1 Viewer)

dickTH

Grip
If you were to buy right now, which one would you buy? And why?
I am quite a newbie, so any help would be appreciated
Also, would it be better to wait for a year to see what's going on with HD DVD's and all that seems to be going on at this time?
I am not in a hurry, I just upgraded all my speakers, so i need to refresh the bank account for a it before I move to the next upgrade.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I wouldn't bother trying to figure out what I would buy when I don't have the money to buy at this point.

So, your idea of waiting for a year to save up the money and see what has happened with HD DVD makes a lot of sense.

Also, it would seem that auto EQ is becoming more and more popular, and last I heard, the Outlaw 990 has no auto EQ, (though they were looking into it).

dickTH

Grip
Well thanks for that. I figure it's never too early to start thinking, rather than make an impulse buy at the last minute when I'm ready to buy.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
OK

How do you feel about auto room EQ? Outlaw still does not have it and I would not hold my breath.

If I was thinking seriously about electronics right now, I would probably start with the Denon 2807. Depending on the speakers, and whether they were set to small, and a powered sub, that might be all one would need. For full range, lower impedance speakers, I would add a decent power amp, (such as the 7125), or a 3 channel amp.

dickTH

Grip
Thanks Arthur

The 2807 actually looks like a pretty decent product for the price. And yes auto eq is nice as i don't have an audioholics ear :)
My current yamaha receiver is 100 watts/channel, and if I'm going to upgrade, I want to make sure it's worthwhile.
The speakers are all Axiom: M22 fronts, EP150 center, QS8 surrounds and M2 rear surrounds. The subwoofer is an SVS 16-46PC+, but might be changed to a PB12-plus/2.

I'll ask a newbie question again, if I take something like my receiver(100 watts/channel) or the 2807 (110 watts/channel) and add a power amp like the 7125 (125 watts/channel) what does that do for me? Does it give me 225 watts /channel?

Any Idiots Guides To A/V Power out there?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dick

The M22's are rated to 60 Hz. So, I would run them as small, crossover at 80 HZ to that 16-46+.

And sorry to say, you cannot run the amp from the receiver and a separate power amp to your speakers, nor would you need to.

Bass is the part of the frequency spectrum that demands power. If you cross over your Axioms at 80 HZ, the rated 110 watts from a 2807 should be more than ample.

You did not mention video integration. The 2807 shines when it comes to this. This is a forward looking feature set and those who learn the ins and outs of video integration find it very handy indeed.

My sense is you are putting a lot of weight on watts per channel. There is a lot more to receivers than that. Things like DACs, the afore mentioned room EQ, will make a bigger difference than an additional 20-30 watts per channel.

With a price from an authorized dealer of $1,100 or so for a Denon 2807, a new receiver may not be as far away as you were thinking.

dickTH

Grip
Thanks Arthur,
I know i have alot to learn, and as a newbie have the "More power = More Better" frame of mind :)

The current receiver is a yamaha HTR-5760
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5760.htm
And is about 1 1/2 years old. It seems pretty good to me as a starter system, and I just got the RS meter and Avia disk to calibrate the speakers.

I also have no idea what video integration or DACs are so I'll keep reading and learning.

The manual that comes with the receiver is pretty vague so it doesn't help me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks