What's new

Denon AVR-3808CI: An Overview (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony,
That's a great price and one you should jump all over with if you can afford to.

Crawdaddy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been researching receivers for the past few weeks and I think I am ready to make the leap. ;) I have made the choice to save up for a nice new Denon AVR-3808ci to replace my current Yamaha RX-V995. Once I have that bad boy in my ht the Yamaha will get deligated to my PC. Same thing will happen with my current HDTV. My PC will have a 50" monitor with a 100 x 5 surround receiver. :laugh:

One of the things that helped push my decision was all the positive input from HTF on the new Denon AVR-3808ci. I am very excited about my up coming purchase and will add my feedback once I actually have the receiver.

Chiiinese Spareribs

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Mao
Was doing research on the AVR 3808, wanted feedback and came across this website. From what I've read so far, everyone seems pretty cool in answering questions that others may have. Not like IMDB.com where someone will rip you a new one no matter what you have to say. I've been searching all over the forums looking for an answer to my question and couldn't find one. Hopefully someone can answer my simple question.

I need help in understanding what the best setup is for a TV with 2 HDMI inputs, a receiver with 4 and a Blu Ray player with 1. I'm thinking about updating my AVR-3300 to the 3808. I just bought a 60" HD TV in Feb that has 2 HDMI inputs. 1 of those inputs is currently being used by my HD cable box. I have an older Xbox 360 with the HD DVD add on, which has components going to the TV and fiber optic to the receiver. I'm also thinking about adding a Blu Ray player but not sure about getting a PS3 or the Samsung BD-P1400. Let’s say I go with the PS3, which has one HDMI slot, would you use that to plug into the receiver or the TV? If I plug into the receiver and use components to plug into the TV, I get HD audio but not HD video. If I plug into the TV, I would get HD video but not HD audio, right? Am I missing something here? Also, let’s say for S&G’s that I hook up the PS3 and Samsung. There’s only 1 HDMI slot on the TV, which one gets it? What do people, whose TV has only 1 HDMI slot, do if they have multiple HDMI components? I’ve had the AVR-3300 with 0 HDMI inputs for close to 10 years and now gonna upgrade to the 3808 that has 4. I’m used to having one set of cables going to the TV and one to the receiver. HDMI is an all encompassing cable but it seems to me that you would still need two? HELP! :eek:

"You mean you…..you don't know what Chinese spare ribs are?"

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Everything gets routed through the receiver so it does not mater if you have 1, 2 or 3 HDMI connections on the HDTV. All you need is one HDMI on the TV, if you have 2 then in most cases its just an extra input. Now if your receiver had two HDMI outputs you could run a HDMI to another HT setup if it was in a room close enough. So you would not have to buy a second set of source equipment if you wanted to run dual home theaters.

Chiiinese Spareribs

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Mao
So Dave, if I had all my HDMI components into the receiver and an HDMI out going from the receiver into the TV, the TV will pick up the HD video too? This is where I get confused with HDMI. So you're saying video can get routed through the receiver to the TV? I'm so used to two sets of cables with audio going to the receiver and video going to the TV.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thats correct you should only need to run one HDMI to your tv. Even if you have something connected to the receiver using component video and a seperate digital input. The newer receiver will upconver everything to HDMI and send it out to your HDTV. So no you do not have to run multiple cables to your TV anymore. :emoji_thumbsup:

I would like someone here that has a brand new receiver to verify this but I feel that I am correct on this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I finally made the jump into this receiver. So far so good, but...

I want to know how to get firmware updates without having to connect it to the internet. And are there any yet?

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, there are updates available. I got mine and updated it right away. I don't know exactly what the updates were for though. I have not heard of any way to get the updates other than the internet. If you have an internet connection just hook it up, do the updates and then unhook it, you don't need to leave it hooked up.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this is old news, but Cnet review of the 3808CI is up:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=pdtl-list

It got favorable marks in almost all areas except for the less-than-stellar deinterlacing of 1080i signals if using HDMI to HDMI; not a deal-breaker if you configure the specific input on the 3808 to just pass the 1080i signal straight to the 1080p display (IOW--either let your source or display do the 1080p deinterlacing). Dunno if the 3808 allows you to turn off its built-in deinterlacer on an input-by-input basis--if it doesn't, then it might be an issue if you have HD/HD DVR satellite/cable devices that output 1080i, "entry-level" HD DVD players like the Toshiba A2/A3, or upconverting 1080i SD DVD players (all if using HDMI out)...if you choose to let the 3808 deinterlace all incoming 1080i to 1080p.

Makdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Metcalf Sr

Hello this is my first post, I gotta tella ya
I joined this foruum to get opinions on the Denon and the Pioneer 94TXH

But after reading the review and seeing the price at 6th ave.
I ordered the 3808CI and the IPod dock

Now on to a HD player or Blue Ray thingy

Thanks for all of the good advice
Greg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am not concerned about what CNET has to say about a peice of audio/video gear. One I do not feel there a good source to review any brand of ht gear. And two that is the last place I would look to get feedback.

I would be more interested in actuall home theater sites that do reveiws and have members that give acurate feedback, like hometheaterforum. :emoji_thumbsup: I honestly doubt there is any problem with the way the AVR-3808ci handles 1080 via HDMI.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

I'll second that. CNET is a joke!!!

Denon has a history of producing some of the best video processing solutions in the industry.

Just check out Secrets of Home Theater and see who consistently ranks at the top of the charts in their benchmarks.

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently 6th Ave is still selling these for 1099 shipped, because I just ordered mine a few minutes ago!

I spoke with Scott at ext. 8632

BTW, I'm also upgrading from an Outlaw 950/7100 combo.

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess I should chime in on this thread. I recently picked up my 3808 on Black Friday which replaced my Outlaw 990. This is my second Denon receiver I've owned, my 3805 is on the upstairs rig and as with the 3805, been 80% pleased so far. Why 80% you ask, for the life of me I just can't seem to get the Audyssey Auto setup to work correctly. My front speaker are approximately 12.5' from my main setting position and after running the Auto setup they are showing the speakers as being 0.8' from the main seating position. When checking the speaker sizes the unit doesn't even show me as having front speakers, it set the rear speakers as large and the side speakers as small. Things just seem so out of wack but yet it sounds amazing other than the fact that the LFE just seems to low. I've ran the setup at least 3 different times using atleast 6 positions and everytime something is different. When I first purchased the unit the very first thing I did was downloaded the "LATEST" firmware. This was verified after trying to redownload and it clearly stated "LATEST". I never reset the microprocessor so I'm not even sure if this will help. Can anyone verify that if you reset the microprocessor if this would help with the Audyssey? Thanks.

Keller Ag 94

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Moore
Just ordered mine from 6th Ave. The deal for $1099 shipped is still going. Ask for Scott at ext. 8632 or ext. 8609.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

:emoji_thumbsup:

anhassi

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I got mine for 1099 too. The deal is still going on and I think he is relishing in the fact that people keep calling him for it. He asked me to keep this going.

The price is even better because there is no shipping costs and no sales tax.

This is probably overkill for my first receiver, but when it was $1480 at OVation with their special VIP after hours sale and they would not budge I had to go for this. Even Ovation's 2808 would have cost 70 -80 more after sales tax.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Other than an additional 10 watts per channel and an extra HDMI out I don't see much of a difference between the 3808 and the 4308 to justify an addition $800 for the 4308. Am I missing some key differences between the two pieces?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
According to the product sheet on Denon's web page, the 4308 has built-in WiFi capability and HD Radio tuner, "Advanced AL24 Processing" vs. "AL24 Processing Plus" found on the 3808 (dunno exactly what the former gains you on the 4808 but that's what it says), 4 zone vs. 3 zone capability, dual HDMI out vs. single HDMI (which you already pointed out)...I think that covers most of the obvious differences between the two. :D

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 3808 from 6th Ave. yesterday for $1168 (incl. 3-year Mack extended warranty) shipped; given that 6th Ave. is located on the right coast and I'm way over here on the left coast...I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to arrive on my doorstep--LOL!!! :laugh:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Its nice to know we are being referenced. :)

As far a posting prices on the forum it is one thing to post a price that a company like 6th Avenue has and posting prices for a company that you work for as a sales pitch for that company. The former will be tolerated where as the later will not.

As far as the 3808 goes. I am jealous of all of you that have one. One of these days.............

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks