What's new

Denon AVR-3808CI: An Overview (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Absolutely not. The amp is only active (at least to the point of heat generation) if speakers are connected to it. If you use the pre/pro outs then I've noticed no heat problems with a Denon 5700, a Denon 3806 and a Denon 3808.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Even though I turn internal scaling off (since I use an external DVDO VP50 further down the video pathway, I can confirm that the Denon does HDMI to HDMI scaling up to 1080p. In fact it will scale all sources up to 1080p if that's your wish.

Hope this helps.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've been actually considering the Denon 2808. My speakers are Infinity Beta and SVS PC+ 20-39 sub.

I'm looking for a receiver which has no issues passing through 1080p/24 or 120hz for my new display (Sony SXRD A3000).

I'm kind of torn between the 2808 and Yamaha 1800. But, given the Denon seems cheaper, I'm leaning more toward it.

Any thoughts?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Thanks,RAF, for the info.Here in Sydney there's not going to be any pre-pro's released at a sensible price until mid 08. I think I'll go with the 2808 which for these purposes is the same as the 3808 save computer connectivity and a less pretty GUI.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Adam Gregorich could probably tell you more about the major differences between the 2808 and the 3808 since he's a dealer. I do know that it involves more than just an Ethernet connection. And to me the new GUI is a significantly more workable interface than the old "Block White Letter" Menus.

Off the top of my head - for one thing, Audyssey equalization kicks in with the 3000 series and up in the Denon line. I'm fairly sure there are some other features that also don't appear until the 3000 series.

That said, I'm not knocking the 2808 for what it is. It is a very good product in its category and certainly enough for those for whom it's a nice fit.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
After reading comments from Ron and RAF it would seem you guys are pretty happy with upgrade. So one question comes to mind is this worth getting as an upgrade from a Denon 3806?? (yes I know RAF upgraded from the 3806 and seems happy)

I have been a long time Denon fan but was never really wowed by the 3806.

It appears the 3808ci doesn't have all the issues the new Onkyos do which tilts me back in the Denon direction, but do like the Onkyo prices a little better of course.

It would be yet another costly upgrade to do so since the 3806 probably has very little dollar value in it anymore.

Current hook ups would be DirecTV HD, PS3, HD-XA2.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Greg

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Greg,

Let me put things into perspective. I "upgraded" from a 3806 to a 3808 for a number of reasons. In the first place, I recently installed both a Blu-ray player and an HD-DVD player upstairs in my bedroom and really needed an HDMI-capable receiver for the connections in order to enjoy one-wire full HD audio as well as video (both players decode HD audio codecs so HDMI 1.1 is fine.) My Denon 5700 didn't fit the bill (no HDMI and 8 year old electronics.) Therefore, I didn't really just "upgrade" to a 3808. I actually hit two birds with one stone so to speak. It was a fortunate convergence.

When I purchased the 3806 last year it was also for HDMI connectivity in my HT (for audio because I use a DVDO VP50 video processor as well). At the time I wanted HD audio codecs and it did just fine (as it continues to do upstairs.) I only used it as a pre/pro - maintaining my monoblock amps formerly connected to my Lexicon MC-8. I was actually surprised how good the 3806 sounded when compared to Logic7 (I suspect that uncompressed 7.1 sources have something to do with that.) In other words it (the 3806) exceeded expectations. The Audyssey MultEQ was a bonus that I wasn't even aware of when I purchased the 3806.

The 3808 not only lets me move the 3806 upstairs but it also has several upgraded features that I consider major improvements. (Your mileage might differ, based on your own personal tastes and requirements.) First, there are 4 HDMI inputs and they are now all 1.3a. Secondly, the 3808 offers HD audio decoding if you have a source that doesn't do this (the Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player that was introduced on Tuesday surprisingly doesn't, for example). Additionally, Audyssey Pro is now possible (an extra cost option but worth it to me) with the 3808. And now there is Ethernet connectivity so that firmware updates are possible as well as a host of other Internet based features - including Internet Radio just to mention one of many. Denon has also completely revamped the graphical user interface (GUI) so that it's now in the 21st century rather than the old "White Block Letters + Pointing Finger" Model. It not only looks much nicer but is easier to use. Even the manual has become easier to navigate - if you read those things. ;)

Just about any one of the above mentioned features (there are more) would be a possible reason to consider a 3808. Taken all together, and considering my particular circumstances - this was, literally, a no brainer. I had it ordered before I returned from CEDIA 2007.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Thanks Robert.

Manual .. what the hell is that??? LOL!

Well 4 HDMIs is a major plus. At the moment I have to run my DirecTV receiver via component since the 3806 only has 2 inputs (taken by the PS3 and XA2). Of course I hope to one day have a combo player that works well (can anyone say Samsung 5000 where are you) so the extra HDMIs won't be as necessary.

Better Audyssey -- I'm all for it. Interesting note about the full pro version too. Something to keep in mind.

Internal processing -- yep that's what I'm talking about. I'm guy that has always preferred to let the receiver/pre do the work so this would be a plus.

I guess it simply boils down to how much $$ I need to blow to make it happen but it does sound like the 3808ci is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Greg

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I am in the market for a new receiver as well and cant decide between the Denon 3808 and the Yamaha RXV3800...

Does the 3808 upscale to 720p as well as 1080p? My Pioneer plasma is a 720p set...

Greg S

Supporting Actor
FYI for anyone looking at the 3808 there is a good deal going on now with 6ave.com. You have to call them to get the price. Ask for Scott or Roberto.

Greg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I was looking at the TX905 with the toridal transformer but that was a concern I had with past Onkyo receivers. Was there any other issues with the new Onkyo's?

I am researching receivers right now and there are now quite a few different brands with new models out. I am however seriously considering the Denon AVR-3808ci to replace my old Yamaha RX-V995. I was thinking about the Denon AVR-4308ci but I am not sure its worth paying more for it and not getting a toridal transformer with it. I am also looking at the following receivers to replace my old RX-V995.

Possible Choices:
Denon AVR-4308 $2,499 ???
Denon AVR-3808 $1,599
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH $1600
Sony ES STR-DA4300ES $1,300
Sony ES STR-DA5300 $1,700
Onkyo TX-NR905 $1,999 ??? not sure I trust it
Yamaha RX-V3800 $1,700

I am going to go to my local UE next week and do some critical listening to a few receivers.

Hey RAF did you have any issues when decoding and listening to DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD with your Denon AVR-3808ci? That is the receiver I am leaning towards for my HT.

Currently I have both HD-DVD and Blu-ray and I have a small library of SACD and DVD-A as well. I also have a decent number of DVD's and will ocationally watch a laser disc. Would love to get some feedback on the new receivers, especially the new Denon. I actually love the way the new receiver looks and would love to have it in my HT ASAP, or as long as it takes to save up the cash for it. ;)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I let both of my HD players do the HD audio decoding to LPCM via HDMI so I've never tried out the internal decoding of the 3808ci in this regard. According to the people I've talked to, it makes absolutely no difference, aurally, where the decoding takes place.

And as to SACD and DVD-A playback - one of the nice things about the Denons (3000 series and up) is that they contain DenonLink III which is a direct digital link between a Denon player (using cat 5) and the Denon AVR. In other words, no 5.1 analog audio connections. Direct linkage via digital eliminates both a DAC and an ADC stage - which is never a bad thing. I keep my Denon 2930ci DVD player in the system for that very reason and it also worked perfectly with my 3806 in that regard (SACD and DVD-A). Speaking of which (DVD-A) my 2008 Acura MDX features a sound system that plays back DVD-A discs and it sounds great. New life for this "dead" format (and my many titles). It ain't over 'til it's over!

:laugh:

JoshuaL

Grip
FYI - I originally bought an Onkyo 805 and ended up returning it & replacing it with a Denon 3808CI. The reasons were described on another forum, copying below if anyone is interested:

Re: SACDs, I just got into these since getting the 3808 since my PS3 plays them (who knew?) and can output multichannel via HDMI. I must say, it's sad that this never caught on. Listening to Elton John's early albums in SACD format is amazing.

Re: Dolby TrueHD / DTS Master I too let the PS3 do the decoding and send the multichannel PCM to the 3808 ... since I have no other option. :) But as was mentioned, even if the PS3 could output the encoded stream via HDMI it shouldn't make any discernable difference. But yes, the 3808 has the capacity to decode those formats if it receives them from a source.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joshua,

First, welcome to this forum. Happy to have you here.

Listen, instead of directing our valuable membership over to
another forum, why don't you just cut-n-paste your comments
over here?

Thanks

Adam_R

Second Unit
Thanks for the impressions. You inspired me to buy one. 6ave.com is running a SPECTACULAR deal on this puppy. Call them and you'll get a price much lower than the 2808's MSRP. WAY LOWER.

Amazing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Adam,

If you are not associated with 6th avenue then I'm certain you'll
have no problem sharing that price with the rest of the membership?

Adam_R

Second Unit
I am not associated with them, and this is actually my first purchase from them.

I got the 3808ci, shipped for free for $1098.

For those who don't know, these guys are an authorized Denon dealer, so rest assured that your warranty is valid and all that jazz.

Obviously, you need to call for this deal. I spoke with a guy named Scott.

:)

Ronald - Thanks for your impressions and thanks for a great forum. :) I have been here for a while now and this place is an invaluable resource.

And on a side note, Scott seemed excited to tell me that they are currently offering the Yamaha RX-V3800 at the same low price. :O

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I figured I might as well get a new model receiver since not all the players actually decode all the new formats. While the new ones will decode Dolby True HD they will not internally decode DTS-HD MA. And my old Yamaha RX-V995 only has composit and s-video connections and it is a basic 5.1 surround receiver. I am considering getting the Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray player instead of the Denon Blu-ray, it will cost half as much.

As many of us know it is not easy building a really nice top notch home theater on a budget. I started off wanting the Denon ARV-4308ci but reality kicked in and said it out of your budget dave. :frowning: So my next choice is the Denon AVR-3808ci and the back up choice so far is a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. I would love to have a Denon Blu-ray but my budget says I would be lucky to own the Pioneer BDP-95FD. I am thinking that if I can not go the Denon route the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver and the Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD, would be a good substitution. And they should perform very good and I technically should not hear any difference. So I just have to save up and see what happens. Especially since I have been dying to own a Denon receiver for at least 4 years now. The Yamaha has been flawless for over 10 years but am not sure that the new Yamaha's will compair to Denon? My next upgrade after a receiver will be a new 1080p HDTV and there will be some other upgrades along the way.

I would love to hear from everyone that has purchased a new Denon AVR-3808ci. I am sure many of us would like to know how good does the audio sound, how good does the Audyssey work, and is the HDMI video switching good? Ether way I am sure I will be happy with ether Denon or Pioneer Elite. But I have not ruled out a Yamaha, you just never know. ;)

Leeland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee Jackson
Thanks Adam

I just placed my order for the Denon 3808CI after reading your post. $1098 includes Free shipping. Denon authorizes 6ave.com as a Authorized dealer. Thanks for the tip Adam. You must call by phone and ask for Peter, Scott or Reberto. This is my up grade from my Denon 3803. What a receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks