Denon AVR 3805 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Sheridan, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Scott Sheridan

Scott Sheridan Auditioning

I posted a while back on a HTS I was installing in a new house for a freind. Time has come to select the receiver and Im (he's) now on a budget due to the fact that his wife has picked out $30,000 of window treatments for this shack. I was looking at the Denon AVR 3805 pretty hard after looking at the Yamaha RXV 2500 & 1500. Questions I have are can I run a zone 2 to speakers on the deck without an amp? Also what does that optional sound stage mic costs and do we really need it to set up? This system has all BA speakers 4-8" rounds in the ceiling for side & back surrounds, (not much wall space in this room) (diagional layout at that) VR 2s up front, a BA VRC center and a Def Tech pro100 sub. Ive been hitting the "HI FI" stores for a while to get ideas and comparing prices on line.

Anyone use the 3805 and have any stories to tell? And what might some better choices be in the same price range, a sub too? Remember about the drapes guys, as this guys well is is running dry. $800.00 for a receiver is pushing it with this guy and I dont know if I can make that happen, he hits the stores too.

Your help is much appreciated.

scott

2. jason_l_h

jason_l_h Agent

The 3805 can power a second zone with it's internal amps. The setup mic runs about $60 and did a fantastic job of tuning the system for my listening room. I tried setting up manually at first with a RS SPL meter, but I couldn't get it quite right. On another note, I would much rather have naked windows than a sub-par sound system.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

the denon avr-3806 hits the streets in a month or so. retail is $1299 i believe and it includes a setup mic. he might have some wiggle room on the price depending on good he is at negotiating. seriously though, if his wife can drop 30k on farkin' curtains / "window treatments" and he only gets $800 for a receiver....well, that's just sad on so many different levels. i suggest he dip into her budget and get the 3806. with hdmi switching, he should be set for the forseeable future.

kevin t

oh yeah, forgot my only shameless self-endorsement. i'm selling my denon avr-3805 for $750 shipped. pics can be seen here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=239188
    [​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

A cheaper alternative that I have only recently come to like.. Is the Yamaha 5890.

But the Denon 3800 series stuff is a samll step up from the Yamaha 5890 have no doubt.

5. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

If the 3805 is like my 2803 then you can run zone 2 speakers without a seperate amp only if your running a 5.1 or less speaker system. If you want to utilize a 6.1 or 7.1 system, then a seperate amp will be necessary to power the zone 2 speakers.

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

I'm beyond pleased with my 3805.

Previous posters are correct about the zone 2.

The mic definitely made setup easier and I think $60 is what I paid also. I made some small adjustments after that, but setup was a snap...but not absolutely necessary, no.

One thing I like is that I use wireless headphones frequently. Plugging in the headphone jack automatically turns off speaker output. That was really only a problem for my wife with my 2803 not knowing to turn the speaker output on, but it's a nice convenience.

Nice one. [​IMG]

7. Shaun Gallagher

Shaun Gallagher Auditioning

Denon AVR-3805 is an Excellent receiver all around [​IMG]

8. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I love my Denon AVR-3805! No problems at all.

David

9. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The 3805's has nice amps in them. I added an outboard amp to mine, but the difference is hardly noticeable. I find it quite powerful but not heavy. It weighs 8 lbs less than my old Sony DA4ES but it clearly has more power than the Sony.

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm starting to look around at replacing my Sony DA3ES, and I'm considering the 3805. With the 3806 about to come out, will prices be dropping on the 3805 soon? Any specific places I should buy from?

I'm usually a Sony guy, and the Oade Brothers have given me some great deals, but they don't appear to sell Denon. Thx for the suggestions.

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Matt

On the ultra-conservative side, Crutchfield has the 3805 for $1000.

E-Bay a couple hundred less (usually used). On this Forum, several people have sold them for $750 or less.

Tweeter carries Denon, they will most likely be dropping prices.

I am sure others can provide more suggestions.