What's new

Denon AVR-3803 vs Marantz SR5003 (1 Viewer)

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
I can buy a Denon AVR-3803 for $250 and i was wondering what everyone thought was better to get. Should i go with the Denon AVR-3803 or the Marantz SR5003 or any other suggestions for under $550.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

BTW-- I live in a frat house right now and my room is 12 x13 but i want something that can be used for years to come and maybe even be able to give to my son someday for his first 'real' stereo like my dad gave me his college stereo.

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
I am also considering the Denon AVR-1910 as well. And i am right now looking for more of the music side than anything else.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have the SR6300 in the bedroom system and a friend of mine went with the 5300 (I would assume it is similar - I have not heard it - I went with the 6300 more for the 2 HDMI outs as the bedroom system backs to the main system and I will be interconnecting them). The only negative I've read about the 5300 is video processing. I don't use the video processing I have an Oppo 980 and a Samsung 2500 connected to the SR6300 and it is just used as a A/B video switcher for HDMI to the TV. I don't use the bedroom system tons but it sounds good. I also got it for DSD processing as the Oppo 980 is not that great over analog outs for SACD but sounds pretty good connected to the Marantz SR6300. I even tried converting SACD to hi-rez PCM in the 980 and it still sounded good (I could not tell the difference in the couple of things I listened to. I don't know about something lasting 20 years though. I'd bet that most things over a decade or so probably either won't be worth repairing or there may be some older things that parts are not made for at some point in time.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest problem with the Denon 3803 is that it is a 5 year old model and would fall far short of the other two in features. The Marantz 5003 and Denon1910 are current. Between those two, the 1910 has more features but those who have an opinion think Marantz makes the most "musical" receiver of any major consumer brand. However, most members around here seem to feel there isn't a very noticeable difference in sound quality between simularly priced brands.

Others to consider are the Onkyo 607/707, Pioneer 1019, Yamaha 665 and H/K 354 or 2600. H/K's quality control was a bit shakey for a while but I haven't heard too many complaints over the last couple of years. Either they got there act together or people around here just stopped buying them. BTW, I have an H/K 520, turned on for 5-6 hours a day every day for 6-7 years without any problems, and love it.

After all of that, if it were me and my requirements I'd get the Marantz 5003. But the Denon 1910 is probably a better fit for you and yours.

Users who are viewing this thread