1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon AVR-3803 or Yamaha RX-V2400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by HoiT, Jan 24, 2004.

1. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Hey Guys,

I am going to buy a receiver soon and my search has led me to the Denon AVR-3803 and the Yamaha RX-V2400. The features are almost identical and I am having a hard time deciding which one to get. Can anyone comments on these two receivers ? Thank you very much in advance.

HoiT

2. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same situation that you are. Go to Audioholics.com, a lot of people there favor the Yamaha RXV2400. But then again the Denon has its own fans all over.

3. HoiT

HoiT Agent

It is no easy choice , isn't it! I read the review on audioholics - quite an in depth review. I guess it is probably coming down to the price issue then. Thanks anyway.

HoiT

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Hoit...I was doing the same thing you were last week...but after owning yamaha fo 10yrs... I stayed with them...Watched a movie to day for first time and was overjoyed with my purchase. Also listened to some music today and was excellent!

its not an easy choice...might need to flip a coin to decide.
    I know the sales guy said...take it home..if its not what you want...bring it back in the box....one nice thing aout local shopping

5. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Thomas,

Thank you for the message. Which Yamaha model did you get? I was all set on the RX-V2400 - then this afternoon I obtained a copy of the Yamaha brochure from a dealer and discovered that the differences between the V2400 and V1400 are 10 W less /channel and 2 less DSP mode (please correct
    me if I am wrong).

If I am right about the differences between the two Yamaha's, then for sure I will go for the V1400 instead of the Denon 3803 because there is quite a difference in price.

HoiT

6. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

depends on your needs. the 2400 has over the 1400
    yes 10w/channel (whoo hoo)
    2 ir triggers vs. 1
    video out for zone2
    remote is a little beefier on the 2400
    the dsp modes you mentioned
    the 2400 has an rs232 port in the back for upgrades
    the big thing for me... was zone2 controls on the front of the unit (under flip pannel) the 1400 this has to be done mostly by remote!

there was only a $200 diff where I shopped..and thought it was worth it. Guess it depends on what features you think you will get the most out of.

good luck...btw...either of them is an awesome unit! so you dont lose either way

Thomas

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If you ever plan on adding an amp down the road go with the 1400. An exellent feature rich A/V that can be used as a pre/pro.

2400 also has bigger caps (2x15,000 vs 2x10,000uf)

Kevin

8. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Thomas,

Thank you for the detailed comparison of the two. you are right, I think I have to ask myself whether I would like to pay for those features. Around here (Toronto, Canada) the listed price difference between the two is about 300 cdn.

Kevin,

You are totally right - the 1400 is stuffed with features and is a really good deal for the price. Hey the extra 5000 uF in the 2400 should provide a bit more dynamic headroom.

Thank you guys for the messages.

HoiT

9. John S

John S Producer

Just to get a vote for the Denon in on this thread here.

Both should be great AVR's for you as many have already posted.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was looking at both receivers, also. But ultimately, I decided to stay with Yamaha. I was replacing a five year old RX-V795.

You may want to hold off on making a choice. I think Denon is coming out with a replacement for the 3803 wihin a couple of months.

Both units seem to be very well made receivers and I don't think you will go wrong whichever one you choose.

11. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Yeah the new 3805. Its suppossed to be pretty nice.

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

But, it could be some time before we are able to find the new Denon AVR-3805 for prices that are much below the MSRP of $1,199.

13. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I am in the same boat: trying to decide between these 2 receivers, and I've thrown in the H/K AVR630 into my mix... still haven't decided on which receiver to match with my JBL Studio Series speaker set up... dilemmas!