Denon AVR 3803 - HELPPP!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_III, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Ok, complete newbie here so please bear with me.

I just finished setting up my speakers to my brand new 3803, and am now going through the manual trying to "set up" the receiver (I have my video components connected directly to the TV and would rather not run them through the receiver). Well, once the receiver turns on and I push the "Setup" button nothing happens. The display which shows the AM radio station does not change. I'm supposed to see some kind of "System Startup Menu" but instead I see the same old display [​IMG] . Now I re-initialized the receiver and tried again, after continually pushing the "CH Select Enter" and "Setup" and "System Setup" and the arrow keys, I got to some menu where I could choose to disable the subwoofer, surround zone B, etc. however after pushing buttons randomly I got kicked back to the regular screen, and now I can't get back into that screen? What is going on? I should at LEAST be able to get to the setup screen, correct? I hope this isn't some stupid electronical defect. If I'm missing something obvious please point it out as I am very new to this (although I'm a network engineer so cabling/computer/phone systems etc I've worked extensively on), as I'm about ready to return the darn thing as it's just a very expensive paperweight right now.........

2. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

You can't use the receiver's front display. All setup menus are done through the on-screen display ONLY(monitor output to your television). You have to use your television for setup. What you described is normal. The receiver's front display gives no indication of the setup menus.

Since you went crazy on the buttons, you may want to reset the receiver again to make sure it works correctly. Just imaging going nuts on your PC's keyboard. If you don't lock it up, it surely wouldn't operate correctly.

Just use the on-screen menus as the "manual" states, and you'll be alright.

Have a good one.[​IMG]

3. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Hey, thanks a bunch. I kinda thought I was missing something obvious there, thanks again Mike![​IMG]

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Just run a 75 ohm patchcord from the composite Video Out jack to an unused composite video input on your TV.

I'm the same as you - straight run to the TV is better than through the 3803.

You will have to select the proper video input on your TV, and then hit the 3803 set-up button and voila - you should see it on the screen.

Regards,

Ed