Denon AVR 3802 setup problem- help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Kealey, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

While trying to set up my new 3802, I have followed the directions exactly as far as I can tell. I fired up the receiver, pushed setup on the remote, and got the setup menu on my TV screen. Now however, it does nothing. I cannot get the remote to cause the cursor to scroll up or down to select any of the choices, nor can I select anything by pressing the enter button. It justs sits there, and apparently all I can do is make the setup menu appear by pressing setup, and disappear by pressing setup again. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have a faulty remote or receiver do you think. Any responses would be greatly appreciated here. Just so you know, there are currently no rear speakers hooked up to it. I don't know if perhaps its looking for some type of load there or not. Assistance greatly appreciated.
    K

2. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations if you are actually ablw to follow the directions. I just got mine the other day and I spent last night and this morning hooking it up.

It sounds faulty. When I hit "setup" the menu comes on and I can use the tuning up and down buttons to move through my options.

I also have a problem, and I'm trying to read through some other posts 1st.

There is no sound from my rear speakers when using the 5.1 input. I have sound if I use a 5-6 channel stereo mode for my CD player. All the other speakers are working.

Any ideas?

Tom

3. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Remote issue:

Make sure the remote is displaying AMP. If not the keys are recorded to whatever the factory default is for the displayed device. Sound faulty to me if it is showing AMP

No back speaker:

Most DVD players also need be set to play 5.1 through the their menu if you did not have a receiver before.

I have had mine for 2 months.

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Failing all else, you might try re-initializing the processor on the receiver. Somewhere in the manual the procedure is described.

Good luck.

5. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Putting the remote into AMP solved the sytem setup problem. Thanks very much. Now if I can only figure out how to get the video from the digital cable system to show up on the TV. The COAX comes into the digital cable tuner box, and then by s-video to the tv/dbs input on the 3802. I get no picture at all from cable. I can watch DVDs all day long. Any suggestions out there?

6. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Once you have set the denon to tv/dbs and you know the cable is feeding the denon a signal push the auto button on the denon unit. I have a xbox (using a component connection) on the tv/dbs channel that gets lost every once in awhile and I have to push the auto button for the denon to find the feeding source.

Also make sure the tv/dbs is set to feed in from the svideo input source and feeding out on the correct connect to you tv on the setup menu.

good luck

7. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Kevin-
    The 3802 will only pass video signals of the same type, meaning that if you have an S-video input, it will only go out through the 3802's S-video output. So just make sure you are feeding your TV's input with an S-video connection.

8. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Funny to see this post...I just gave up for the night on trying to setup my 3802. The instructions are of NO help whatsoever. I'll try to get at it tomorrow, but I also had the same problems with the remote. I'd push one thing, and then nothing would happen. Then I'd push another button, and the receiver turned off.

I know I had it hooked up through the monitor, but I couldn't see the menu. So I changed it to VIDEO 2, and it worked there. Overall, I know this is going to be a VERY long process, and I'm not even talking about tuning it yet.

9. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Thanks to everyone's assistance, I've got the thing working. Now comes the dreaded attempts to program the Denon remote to work all the associated electronics. I am simply appalled at how horrible the owners manual is for a relatively expensive piece of consumer equipment. I would think there is a market for a HT AV Receivers for Dummies series. The sad part is it doesn't appear to be a translation problem like a lot of Japanese to English things, but just a complete inability to realize your target market is not folks with extensive experience doing these things. Thanks again for all the help. I may be back after I throw the remote at the wall a few times.[​IMG]

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Hey guys! Back from the dessert for 30 days! Its good to see all those 3802's up and running. You need to hit the 6.1/7.1 button on the front of the rcvr to get full time sound out of the rears. You guys are smarter than I was at first! It took a while to figure out that a tv hook up is critical. Keep us posted![​IMG]

11. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Earl

Can you explain futher on what you said about pushing the 6.1/7.1 button on the rec. What is ment by "full time sound out of the rears". Are you saying the remote will not get the same results?

12. Earl Simpson

I just use the remote for setup, and the front panel for everything else. I'm sure you can use the remote for that function. Just leave the 6.1/7.1 button on and setup your system in the menu as the manual says you should. I learn something about this beast every time I use it. So, don't be in too big of a hurry to learn it all. Since I have switched to smaller rears and surrounds, I had to boost the volume on those channels.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    PS/ Are yours made in Japan? Check the back of the rcvr.
    PS/PS Yes! If you want sound out of the rears with a 5.1 source, you will need to turn on the rear speakers by pushing a source to them. I believe the 6.1/7.1 button sends a duplicate sound to the rears from the surrounds. It has been a while since I messed with it so I could be wrong! Also 7 channel stereo is awesome. I have my fronts set to large( since they are large) and duplicate the bass with the sub. For stereo I had to tweak the sub down a little to get a more balanced sound. I also set my sub to 70 htz for its internal crossover and the 3802 to 90 htz. Since i'm getting the full range from my fronts, this did not produce any holes in my sound that I care about. That's the only problem with the 3802! Bass mgt is inflexible.

13. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

Mine says "made in Japan" right on the back. Didn't know Denon made them anywhere else.

14. Earl Simpson

Good!! Some of the models are made in other places and I just prefer a made in Japan model. Some are built very well in other countries besides Japan, but that is my preference if possible. I feel the same way about cars, although some of the Korean cars are getting better in quality. I think the 3802 is the best deal out there at this time.

Off the subject!!!! Lord of the Rings. I have noticed a lot of rumbling, house shaking, bass and the rears are not loaded with loud material/just background stuff. Anyone else notice that. I even cranked my rears and surrounds up to +4.

15. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Earl,
    One quick way to tell if you rears are working properly when watching LOTR, is to go to the party scene for Bilbo. Find the part where Gandalf shoots the fireworks that go up into the sky and then come right at you. You should be able to hear them go whizzing past your head. It's a really cool effect.

J