Denon AVR-3802 or Onkyo DS797 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

I will be upgrading my receiver soon and was wondering what the board felt was the better receiver? I'm partial to the Onkyo, I have the 575x now and love it! The 797 is also about $150 cheaper than the Denon, but I have heard the Denon is a great receiver.

Do you guys have any suggestions other than these two for about the 1k price range? Which of these is better and why?

What else should I take into consideration?

thanks alot once again!!

Jim

2. Jim Carr

No one has either one of these? Or any comments.. any help is appreciated! thanks!

Jim

3. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

I can speak to the 797; have had mine for about a month and love it; especially the THX along with the numerous inputs, etc.; I had the Denon 1802 before so I can only compare it to that; also, the PLII is very good for tv; I think, based on what I've read both here and on other forums, that the Onkyo remote is much better also.

4. Jim Carr

Thanks Randy. Couple that with the Onkyo 200 cheaper AND I have one and am familiar with it.. it seems the way to go for me. But I'd like to hear from someone that has the DENON.. alot of people seem to have and like them.

thanka gain for your help Randy!

Jim

5. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

Jim,

I've had the Denon 3802 for about a month, purchased on web for under $700 and it does everything as advertised. I believe it has one more set of video inputs on the back and an extra set of stereo amps for 7.1 or to drive a set of speakers in a second room (or to set up 2 different side speakers for music vs. cinema). You can also play different source material in the second room. It does not have THX if that is important to you. I does have ProLogic II but I believe the Onkyo unit does as well. The Denon sounds very good (subjective I know) and seems to be built very well. It is a relaively new unit replacing the 3801 which did not have PL II. Denon seems to have a good track record with many fans on this forum as does Onkyo. I was in the same mode you are in now, 2 months ago and chose the Denon on the few different features which were important to me (rear AV inputs and 7 channels of amplification). The amps were important because of my current needs. I would have needed to go up to the Onkyo 898 to meet my needs in the Onkyo line which was significanly more $.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with either piece.

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I don't know if you are going by B&M pricing or authorized dealer online pricing, but best online street price for the 3802 is $692 vs. $742 for the DS797. Check out shopping.yahoo.com.

The 3802 has 7 amplified channels to the 797's 6. If you want 6.1 channel surround, you can set it up with 2 rear speakers instead of 1.

The 797 has the THX certification, FWIW. The Onkyo receivers have better remotes than the Denons. Onkyo gives a 6 month warranty when you buy from an unauthorized dealer. Not clear if Denon gives any warranty in that situation.

7. Jim Carr

Thanks for all the great info!