Denon AVR-3802 DSP problem ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Dabrowski, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Chris_Dabrowski

Chris_Dabrowski Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my receiver to a brand new Denon AVR-3802. :) It sounds really good in DD 5.1 mode from DVDs however I'm getting a strange problem when watching 2 channel Satellite TV. :-(

When I enable any of the DSP modes on the receiver I can hear noticeable distortion on material with a large vocal component. Speech sounds very harsh, even crackling and almost breaking up on the centre channel speaker and there is a lot of leakage to the other four speakers where I can hear a high frequency squawking of the speech component. :-(

This problem is worst when I use the DPL (II or I) modes but it is also audible with DTS Neo:6 and the custom Denon DSP modes. I've also tried switching between the PCM digital Toslink and analog phono outputs on my satellite receiver with no effect.

Has anybody else experienced this or does it sound like the DSP circuitry in the receiver might be broken? I'm reluctant to go back to the retailer until I'm sure there is a problem.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is:

- Denon AVR-3802 - AV receiver
    - Kef Q5 - Front speakers
    - Kef Q1 - Rear speakers
    - Kef Q9c - Centre speaker
    - Samsung 807 - DVD player (yes, I know this needs upgrading :)
    - Philips 32PW6322 - TV
    - Sony VTX-S760U - Satellite receiver (Sky Digital)
    - no subwoofer (I live in a flat :-( )

Many thanks,

Chris

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I hear this problem sometimes on both analog and digital television broadcasts. This seems to stem from a signal strength problem that either originates with the station themselves or the cable companies. If you are hearing it off satellite, then I'd wager the stations are to blame.
    Everyone has noticed that sound is radically different
    depending on what station you are listening too.
    Just for the hell of it, try emailing the television
    station you are having issues with to see what they say.
    If you experience it with all channels, try emailing the
    manufacturer or distributor of your satellite decoder box.

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I notice audio distortion on some DirecTV channels, especially re-transmission of local stations. I suspect DirecTV is using too much compression.

4. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Got my 3802 a couple of months ago. Noticed the same thing on center channel vocals. Anytime someone says the letter "s" it comes out like static. Doesn't happen on dvd. Notice it most watching regular tv. I do not run a satellite system, but rather digital cable. Oddly enough, the poor center channel is really only noticeable on the analog stations (#'s less than 100). On digital channels (above #100) the distortion is not present. Makes me want to attribute this to poor analog broadcast signals. Am awaiting shipment of my new speakers (due anyday). Will see if that makes any difference.
    Keep ya posted,
    MM

5. Chris_Dabrowski

Chris_Dabrowski Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

It would be really frustrating if the problem is due to poor broadcast quality as there would be no easy solution. The problem is annoying enough for me to consider replacing the receiver for a different model/manufacturer that exhibits less of this effect. Can people with other receivers confirm if they get this problem too or is only apparent on Denon receivers?

Mike, please let me know what happens when you receive your new speakers. I'd be most interested to know if it makes any difference.

Many thanks again everyone,

Chris

6. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I notice the problem particularly with David Letterman via DirecTV with my Onkyo TX-DS898. Re-Eq helps a little.

7. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

People saying the letter "S" especially in the upper
    frequency (42, etc) channels is sometimes heard as
    massive sibilance on my analog/digital cable signal.
    It's really obnoxious. I emailed both the cable company
    and the relevant television stations to ask about this.
    Should be interesting to hear what either has to say.
    I also asked about a particular station (CKVR Barrie-Canada)
    with particularly muffled sound. It's either hyper compressed at the source, or some cable anomoly.

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I leave mine in 7 channel stereo all the time except for DVD's. No sound problem ever. I have a dish 500 that is aimed perfectly(114% signal). The bass from the center channel is weak in 7 channel stereo mode.