Denon AVR 3300 Auto Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_S, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Matt_S

Matt_S Auditioning

I've recently upgraded to a new Time Warner HD digital cable box and am having the following problem:
    With the audio input set to "Auto," I receive sound for all digital television channels. For all analog channels, however, I receive no sound. I have to press the "Analog" button to get sound...using the analog cables. It seems that the receiver isn't automatically switching over.
    I haven't been able to determine if my receiver coincidentally lost that functionality over the same time I put in the new box, or whether it thinks that the analog channels are sending a digital audio signal.
    I'm using the Digital Coax cable from the cable box to the Denon.
    Anyone else had this problem...or have any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    PS I'm considering trying a Coax to Optical converter just to bypass the Denon coax input to see if that may be the problem.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I don't think my 3300 will autosense between analog and digital I have to switch it from one source to the other.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

3. Matt_S

Matt_S Auditioning

The 3300 does have this functionality.
    According to the manual..."The presence or absence of digital signals is detected...and decoding and playback are performed automatically...If no digital signal is being input, the analog input jacks are selected."
    That's why I'm wondering if the receiver thinks that a digital signal is being sent for the analog channels. It would then not convert to the analog inputs.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ok Matt I tested it with my DVD player and it does work properly with my 3300. If I connect the analog audio to the DVD input as well as the digital coax and select auto it will use the digital input when present...if I unplug the digital input it switches over to the analog inputs.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Matt/Andrew: As you guys have discovered, the 3300 (and many other brands too) will auto switch to analog if there is no digital signal present.
    The sneaky part about all of this is that many devices don't completely go off in the off switch setting. For example, my friend recently installed a new Dish Network receiver that has a digital output. Due to some switching choices he wanted to make, we tried to hookup the digital from the dish and the analog from an S-VHS VCR on the same receiver source. We thought that this would mean that when the dish was on, we'd get the digital dish signal. And when the dish was off, we'd get the VCR audio. No dice! Apparently, the dish tuner still leaves the digital output active, even though it doesn't have any audio on it. So, since the digital output is still "on", the auto switch to analog would not work.
    For now, he's using the audio/video split function on his setup. But it must be set from the receiver (no remote control for this function on his Sony.) A bit of a hassle...
    ------------------

6. Matt_S

Matt_S Auditioning

I've got the technicians from Time Warner Cable looking into this. Apparently, they've heard this problem before with the HD boxes. The said it might be a setting inside the box that perhaps we can change.
    I'll keep you posted as I find out more.
    Matt

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I also have the 3300/2000HD combo, and mine behaves the same way.
    For reasons unknown to me, the TWC SA Explorer 2000HD box does not blank the outputs when no signal is present. In fact, my box doesn't even blank the video or digital audio out when the thing is turned off. ???
    The price you pay for being on the bleeding edge (speaking in cable company terms, here).
    Todd