Denon AVR-2803 Vs HK AVR 303

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian.S, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Brian.S

Brian.S Auditioning

I am considering purchising one of these 2 recievers in a couple months and I was wondering which one people prefer around here. At 1st glance the Denon seems to have the edge but after I saw the results of this hometheatermag.com/receivers/903denon/index2.html I am starting to lean tword the Harman. I read from someone on annother forum that the HK actualy produced MORE watts than advertised(around 70 per ch I belive) when they did the same test on it. But the man who reviewed the Denon gave it a good review so I am hung between the 2. Can anyone give me some insight on this subject? The unit will be used almost totaly for movies, a few video games and even less music.

-Brian

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well in terms of power I think that you might get a little more power out of the Harman, but not enough to make a big difference.

If you're going to do video switching then that is something to compare between the two units. Also, the nice thing I like about HK is that they give you a Zone2 option which has alot of features on it and a seperate remote. I found that pretty cool.

These units look like they offer almost the same, so I think that what you should look for it the way they sound, the looks of the unit (if you care about that), and extra DSP's and such.

Harman/Kardon offers Logic7 which for 2 channels sources like movies on cable and such I found to do a better job in putting it in 5.1 surround that Dolby ProLogic II. (the 330 will do 7.1 surround from a 2ch. source)

Go and demo them, they are both good units, I like HK though.