Denon - AVR 2803 - volume level dropped a lot

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterG, Dec 2, 2003.

1. PeterG

PeterG Agent

I have purchased a Denon AVR-2803 just a few days ago and have been happy with it but suddenly a problem has cropped up which I cannot fathom the cause.

Irrespective of the source, be it DVD or Digital Cable Box, I am finding that I am having to crank up the levels far higher than normal. Before a normal, not loud level at all, on my digital cable box on the music channels used to be -35 or so but now I have to have it at - 20. Similar changes on DVD - I have to have it quite a bit higher. My hearing has not changed in the last few hours - In my bedroom levels have not changed there. I can get high volumes but that requires far higher increases in the volume control than I had to do previously. I am getting worried that something has gone wrong in the pre-amp stage and the levels that are being fed to the amplifier are lower than before.

I don't know whether this is some psychological reason pushing me to buy the ARV-3803 (which I think I perhaps should have bought) but I don't think so.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Since this is just a few days old I am not sending this in for repairs - not on. The store I bought it from are I am guessing not willing to swap this for another 2803 but I believe quite happy to upgrade me to a 3803.

Peter

Edit - PS - I did a reset of the receiver and this has not changed anything.

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

You havn't activated the dynamic range compression (DRC) on the surround parameter screen by any chance?

3. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Thanks Harry for the reply.

Not at all and with the reset of the receiver everything is at defaults. No DRC (set to off), all channels levels at 0, no attentuation at all anwhere.

Peter

4. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

Assuming you made no changes to your system or the speaker/room layout I am going to say it sounds like your ears got used to the volume levels. As a Denon avr3300 and avr3803 owner, I can say I always found listening levels at the -25 to -15 levles for regular listening to be fine. I have tried -35 or so but due to my room layout it's too low for me.

5. PeterG

PeterG Agent

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure you are correct. Just whenever I get new equipment I become super sensitive - actually paranoid - and start looking for problems. It would appear that in the absence of problems I feel something must be wrong [​IMG]

I will leave well enough alone.

Peter

6. Mike Pollmann

Mike Pollmann Stunt Coordinator

Related to this... do you guys calibrate the 2803/3803 to 75 dB or 85 db when the volume is at 00? I did mine to 85, but it would appear from other posters that maybe I should redo it. (Actually, I did a 75dB calibration when the volume was at -10), assuming 85 was reference level at 00.

7. MartyP

MartyP Stunt Coordinator

Mike:

I calibrated mine at 75 dB at 00 with the internal test tones...

8. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

I calibrate to 75 also, usually the receiver is in the -10 to -5 range I believe.

I got a wierd one, my right Surrond speaker seems to need 3+db compared to .5+/1.5+ for the rest of the speakers.

-Brian

9. PeterG

PeterG Agent

I calibrated mine today with the Radio Shack SPL meter and using the test tones (tomorrow I will use VE) and I found that with my Polk RTI35s for fronts for example I had to boost them by 1.5 dbs to get the reference 75 dbs at 0 db. The Polks have a sensitivity of 89 dbs. The surrounds were essentially flat but perhaps I dropped them by 0.5 db even though they essentially have the same sensitivity - 89 db

I would not worry about the one surround speaker level. I doubt it is your receiver and probably some very minor issue with the speaker or your room and the environment where that speaker is in. What happens if you swap your surround speakers around? If the issue follows it it is the speaker but as I said I would not be concerned.

Peter