What's new

Denon AVR 2803/3803 - Canadian price difference (1 Viewer)

PeterG

Agent
I am contemplating upgrading from a new Denon 2803 (which I am really happy with) to a 3803 but in Canada the price discrepancy at normal retail is C$800 and even getting a good deal the disparity is still some C$600 - some US$450 or so additional.

In my current situation I cannot even get to anything over what would be deemed a lowish moderate level without upsetting my hypersensitive neighbours (a pair of basically nice people who do not want to hear even the slightest of sounds from anybody).

So the question is - and I have bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones to be the nice neighbour - would those in the US pay the extra for my somewhat limited situation?

Peter

PeterG

Agent
Thanks for the reply but I am somewhat wedded to this store who have allowed me all sorts of upgrades at full price, even when they have been custom cables. The deal I am offered is very fair from a Canadian perspective but looks bad in the US where the 3803 often is just $200 more.

Peter

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

unless you think that you will want some nice speakers in the future or you want the video features of the 3803, I'd definately go with the 2802, or even 1804, these are afterall just headphones??

PeterG

Agent
JohnPop,

I definitely will not downgrade from the current 2803 but the Sennheiser HD-600s are extremely revealing of audio sources - a lot more than speakers costing several thousand dollars. I will probably add a headphone amp in the next few months but I have found that with the Denon the headphone jack is very good - Better than that in a Rega Ear headphone amp and other low end headphone amps.

So I will probably ponder the decision for the next couple of days but I feel somewhat orphaned with all the 3803 posts. No doubt the 3803 is outstanding value for money in those situations where people are able to listen at normal levels. Sadly, with my hypersensitive neighbours I do not fall in that category.

Peter

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
There is no bigger booster for the 3803 than me. (No better proof than if you follow 3803 posts, you'll more often than not find me there!)

That said, if you are going to be stuck in your current situation for most of the life of the receiver, I don't think I'd spend the extra money. In several ways, the 3803 is incrementaly better than the 2803. But for headphone listening, IMO, it clearly falls in the dimishing returns category. You might hear a difference under certain musical or cinematic moments but to say that the difference will always be audible could be a stretch.

Now if you end up needing/wanting to use the video conversion circuitry or in a situation where you can drive a serious speaker-based HT, then IMO, the difference would be worth the upgrade.

Bottom line is that if you don't (and won't) need the 3803's more muscular attributes, then save the money for movies and music...

Rodon

Second Unit
I say do not pass up on th eprice. Movies/music are easy to get at the $20 level. The $400 savings is pretty substantial.

The 3803 is SWEET! I love this new remote design vs. my remote on my 3802.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks