Denon AVR-2802 vs. Sony ES STR-DA3ES -- Please Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kroll, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

I am new to the Forum and very impressed with what I have seen so far. I am also new to having a decent home theater and would like some info on hardware. I am upgrading my current Pro-Logic Denon receiver, JBL Fronts and Infinity rears with all new equipment, but don't have thousands of $$$ that the wife will allow me to invest. Looking at receivers I am in the $800 price range and have narrowed it down to the Denon and the Sony, but would like some insight from the rest of you. I am also looking to purchase the Klipsch Quintets with the 10" sub.

Please tell me what you think and I am open to suggestions.

Thank You

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Scott,

I was in a similar position to you in November '00. I had narrowed my receiver choices down to Denon, Sony & Yamaha. At the time the Denon 2801 was $799 and was the one I was leaning towards. I went to my local electronics shop and they had the Denon 2801 and right next to it was it's predecessor the Denon 2800. The 2800 was being replaced with the 2801 and was selling for $399 (it also had been $799 when first introduced). I went home and checked out the specs on the two. They were virtually identical with the 2801 being 5 watts per channel louder. I bought the 2800 for $399 and have been happy ever since. It is a well made feature-rich receiver. I love the 5 channel stereo feature with CD's and television. The Dolby Digital and DTS modes are excellent also.

You may want to look for Denon 2801's that are on closeout. I believe the main difference between the 2801 & 2802 is the 2802 has Dolby Prologic II and 6.1 channels for which there isn't much content available. You can probably find the 2801 for around $500.

3. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

John,

Thanks for the input. I still am having a tough time deciding on what to do, but will look into the 2801. I figured that I would get some more insight some this forum, but I guess unless I am will to spend the big bucks I am overlooked by most.

Once again, thanks for your help.

4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

I haven't got the upgrade bug as badly as a lot people around here so I'm not up to speed on your receiver options. However, you shouldn't be under the impression that people don't care about your question just because you're not spending $10,000 on separates. I would say that your receiver choices are very much on par with the average member's system. I have a Yamaha RXV800 which is comparable to the Denon 2801. The Denon and the Sony ES are very well respected.

This 'Basics' forum is still pretty new and probably doesn't get as much traffic yet. Your question will probably get more attention if it's in the Receivers forum. The only thing that might be working against you is that your choices are very much mainstream and therefore people may be tired of talking about them. You can go to Forum Feedback and request that this thread be moved, but I would try doing a search on those model numbers and see if you can turn up any previous discussions.