1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon AVR 2802 vs 1803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_A, May 26, 2003.

1. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

With last year's models being cleared out, I can get the Denon AVR-2802 for about $80 more than the newer AVR-1803. The specs overall seem pretty similar. Here are the differences I see:

The 2802 has the additional advantage of preouts, a bit more power (90 vs 80W), and on screen display. The 1803 has a nicer remote (although I'll be using a universal) and a front panel input (same total # though and I'd actually prefer it in the rear). They weigh about the same (with the 1803 being 0.2kg heavier).

Any thoughts on these two? Has anyone compared them directly? They'll be used with a Paradigm Monitor 9 + SVS 5.1 setup. I'll be upgrading from a Denon AVR-2700, which I'm overall very happy with, but will likely give to my brother.

2. Dan_Fitz

Dan_Fitz Extra

I would go with the onscreen display. It just makes setting up easier. Also preouts dont hurt in the long run.

3. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

i think a more fair comparison would be 2802 vs 2803

i wouldnt even consider the 1803 a fair comparison to the 2802.

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I would pay the extra $80 for the preouts only, you may need them in the future. Other than that and the features you already mentioned, those receivers are pretty much similar.

5. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

ok so it sounds like i haven't missed anything obvious that might be different about these two. the preouts don't seem like a big deal to me because I think by the time i can buy a separate amp, i'll probably want true separates anyway. the OSD is similarly not such a big deal IMHO - ease of setup is definitely not an issue for me. the main reason i'd want it is just for more obvious feedback on input switching, etc.

did i miss anything about better direct modes, bass management, surround mode memories for each input, auto surround mode selection, etc?

i don't think 2802 vs 2803 is as fair of a comparison. this is a price based issue IMHO, and the 2803 is significantly more than the 2802. are you saying the 2802 is clearly better than the 2803?

6. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit