What's new

Denon AVR-2801: Digital Cable Box Hookup (1 Viewer)

Tommy L

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,
I need a little help setting up my Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable box to my Denon AVR-2801. I want to patch it through a new Sony DVD/VCR combo. I'm standardizing in S-Video hookups...can someone please walk me through the schematics from the wall(Cable In)...through the hookup to the combo...to the receiver...and out to the monitor. Does the RF cable have to be hooked into the monitor from the combo or should the S-Video from the receiver take care of that(seems like it would be 2 Video feeds)? I don't understand where the Cable connection is actually made to the monitor. Are there Menu sets that have to be made?
Any and all help would be appreciated. Also, I can't seem to get my onscreen menus up...any help from Denon owners?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to Receivers, since it seems to be about wiring various components through a Denon AVR-2801. I also put the receiver model in the title.

Which model?

M.

Tommy L

Auditioning
Thanks Mike...sorry for the errant posting...The model of the Digital box is Explorer 3100. What do I have to gain by running this through my receiver? I've talked to some of the guys at work who just have the hookup directly to the t.v. I do want to be able to record on the VCR, so I know that I have to hookup to the combo. I'll play with the connections tomorrow....Thanks...Also regarding the Onscreen Menu...I understand that Denon needs the S-Video hookup to put this on the monitor...once I hookup the combo to the receiver using S-Video and a digital coax audio, will it be enabled(Have S-Video out to monitor)?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Mostly the convenience of one-button switching to the TV source. If I remember correctly the Sci. Atl. 3100 has a coax digital output, which I assume you've connected to your receiver for those channels that broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. By running the S-video through your receiver, you can switch to both the audio and the video with one selection.

(Note: You will probably also need to run analog left and right connections from the cable box to the receiver, since not all channels broadcast a digital audio signal.)

I can't help with the on-screen displays, since I'm not familiar with the Denon.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks