Denon AVR 1911 upgrade?

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Just a quick question: Should I upgrade my 2010 Denon AVR 1911 to use with my Qled? I have Bose Acoustimass 10 series 5 (I know, but I'm not an audiophile).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It really comes down to whether or not you want the receiver to switch 4K video, rather than switch audio and video separately. A new receiver will handle and switch everything, plus it'll have immersive formats like Atmos and DTS:X.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
It really comes down to whether or not you want the receiver to switch 4K video, rather than switch audio and video separately. A new receiver will handle and switch everything, plus it'll have immersive formats like Atmos and DTS:X.
The only 4K video I watch is either streaming from TV apps, or 4K player which is HDMI direct to tv, with audio via ARC. And since I only have 5.1, is there any advantage to Atmos or DTS:X? And I use a Harmony remote, so video and audio switching is programmed through that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your 4K player has dual hdmi outputs, you'll get better audio by not using ARC and connecting the second hdmi output directly to the receiver. Every UHD player I've ever seen has dual hdmi outputs. Your receiver is the first version of ARC, so Dolby Digital level audio is the best you can get with ARC. A direct connection will give you HD audio.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Got it. Just looked at the 4K player manual. I've had it hooked up wrong. But with a first version ARC, doesn't that mean that the UHD streaming from the TV apps would max at Dolby Digital only, because the audio originates from the TV, goes to the AVR through the HDMI ARC?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Got it. Just looked at the 4K player manual. I've had it hooked up wrong. But with a first version ARC, doesn't that mean that the UHD streaming from the TV apps would max at Dolby Digital only, because the audio originates from the TV, goes to the AVR through the HDMI ARC?
Yep, but this is where it gets confusing. I have to admit I might not have it all hammered out, but... eARC can pass HD audio, but I'm not aware of any streaming that has HD audio. Some streaming services, most notably NetFlix have some with Atmos, but it's Dolby Digital quality, not HD like on a disc. And you only have 5.1 anyway, so it's arguable that there's nothing for you to gain from streaming Atmos.

Having said that, I have a "second" system that's 5.1 with a Marantz SR7012, and I swear it just sounds better with an Atmos soundtrack than a regular one. it's definitely possible that an Atmos soundtrack could sound better than a standard one, even on a 5.1 system.

Unfortunately, a lot of people spend extra money for streaming features in the TV when they'd be better off spending that money on a stand-alone streaming device. All of this is an example why. Then you bypass the whole ARC quagmire.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Thanks, John. That actually clears up everything. I'll just keep the 1911, route a second HDMI from the 4K player, and keep the TV on the ARC for streaming. IF any streaming service ever provides better audio. I can always stream it from my 4K player as well.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Got another question about the AVR 1911: When I use an additional HDMI from the seccond output on the 4K player for audio, to he HDMI in on the 1911, the audio keeps cutting out. It's like it's competing with the 1st HDMI for audio.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, it could be a bad cable, or just a bad connection. One thing I'd probably do is see if the player has a setting to send video only to the main hdmi connection and audio only to the second one. The second connection is probably limited to audio only anyway. It could reduce the chance of handshake problems. After that, you start troubleshooting, first just by disconnecting/reconnecting the hdmi cables, then if that doesn't help, try a new cable.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Found the solution. The receiver has a setting for "HDMI control". It must be turned off.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's kind of a surprise, but I can't stand that automated stuff anyway. I always turn off all CEC/control stuff right off the bat with all components.

Caltoflo

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
I think you're correct. My son had a similar problem with the ARC on his new Yamaha with an "auto" setting.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextminute14