Denon AVR 1804 or Yamaha RXV 640 - plz help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter-Sahl, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Peter-Sahl

Peter-Sahl Auditioning

Oct 21, 2003

im about to buy a new Surround amp. and my budget, my gutt feeling has narrowed it down to these two amps

Denon AVR-1804 and the Yamaha RXV-640

Can anyone help me with some pros and cons about these two amps ??

My heart says Denon, because i have had Denon before (older stereo amp pma-980R), but then again i know that Yamaha makes some pretty serious surr. amps as well, and also has a lot of features

My setup is as follows (so u know what it will be hooked up to)

DVD: Thomson DTH-5400
    CD: Denon DCD-725
    Front: KEF Q70
    Center:KEF Q95C
    Surr.: KEF Q15
    Sub: Cerwin Vega sub-150 (15" active)

plz guys, any advice on the two models/brands will be helpful

and swift answers will be great as well [​IMG] as i have just sold the old crappy technics surround amp. so im without music and movies right now, and considering to buy an amp as soon as possible

Best regards
  2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aug 15, 2002
    I'd make this decision based on the feature sets of the two receivers. I don't think there is, in general, a meaningful performance difference between Denon and Yamaha if the pieces are both from comparable steps on the product ladders.
  3. agendrano

agendrano Extra

Jul 30, 2003
    Yamahas tend to be quite bright sounding and Denon are supposed to be neutral. I believe the Kefs would match very well with the Denon.

Can you listen to the Kefs with the Yamaha and the Denon? If you can, then that would be the best way to make a decision.