Denon AVR-1804 on-screen display only?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeffrey_J, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Auditioning

Are you able to set-up the Denon AVR-1804 using the display on the front of the receiver or must you use the on-screen display?

2. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

The on screen display and receiver display show simultaneoulsy, although the display is a little small on the receiver. It is hard to read from a distance.

3. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Auditioning

Thanks for letting me know. I was hoping that I would be able to just use the receiver's display. I guess now I have no excuse not to buy it.

4. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

The on screen display is a nice feature. You will either have to use the yellow rca or s-vid connection to your tv. I don't think the component connection will carry the signal (at least I haven't gotten it to). I have had the 1804 for about a month now and have been very pleased with it. The only thing I don't care for is the time delay it takes to switch settings or modes. Hope this helps.

5. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Auditioning

The problem I have with the on-screen display is that I am using a LCD projector as my display and have only component cables connected. In my situation it is lot easier to just use the receiver's display. It would have probably been a deal breaker if I had no choice but to use the OSD. Now when you say time delay when switching settings or modes are you referring to the delay between say, the Pro-Logic format of a DVD menu and the Dolby Digital or DTS format of the actually movie? I know I've heard many people complain about this problem but I don't believe I remember any Denon owners saying they have experienced this.

6. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

The delay I'm referring to is only about 5 seconds long, where the volume is temporarily muted, for lack of a better term. It can be annoying, especially during dialogue. I notice this when swithching from something like PLII to Neo6, 6ch stereo, stereo, or direct; PLII music to cinema; and neo6 music to cimema (I watch alot of analog satellite). This is also noticed in the setup menu while adjusting the speaker levels, sub crossover freq., etc..., though most of the time the only thing I might change while playing a movie would be to turn the sub up or down. I have the receiver set to auto decode, so I haven't changed surround modes while playing a DVD, but I would assume it would be like the previously stated situation. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me if I had known about it first. It seems to bother my wife more than me.

7. John S

John S Producer

For at least the intial setup, hook a TV up to it.

Makes it much much easier.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

using on-screen display is a whole lot easier than delving through menus on the receivers display.. by far..

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have used the receiver display for so long including the one on my 1804 that I guess, I don't know what I'm missing.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

You might also want to consider picking up a Small "Cheap" (5" B&W - 13" Color)TV that has a Composite Video Input on it & hook up the Receivers Composite Video Output to it. That way you would be able to use the Receivers On-Screen Menu System & your Projector at the same time. A friend of mine did this with his setup & it worked out really well for him. In his setup he ran the Composite Video cable right over to his listening position so the TV ir right by him when he's making adjustments on the Receiver from his seated position which makes it really easy to see the Receiver's Menus & to make adjustments from the "Sweet Spot"