Denon AVR 1804 digital audio problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AlF, Jun 24, 2005.

1. AlF

AlF Extra

Denon AVR-1804, Sony DVP-NC600,

It seems that the digital signal (from either coax or optical cable) has turned into a staticy, garbled, tinny mess.

I did the normal troubleshooting, replaced the cable, reassigned inputs and outputs, swapped out the dvd player, reset the microprocessor, etc.
    No problems using the cheapo red/white left/right cables. I get a decent stereo signal with no static or degraded sound.

The weird thing is once I seem to isolate it to one component it starts working again. When I go back to the regular dvd player (Sony DVP-NC600) it plays ok for a while, then craps out. When I swap back in the backup dvd player, it still sounds lousy. I reset a couple times and now running on the backup dvd and it seems to be ok, although I'm hesitant to go back to the original config. I thought I had it isolated to the denon, but I've been listening to it now for an hour on the backup dvd and it's ok.

Any tips on other things to troubleshoot? test? Is this a known issue? Possibly a processor issue? Connection?

Thanks!
    al

2. AlF

AlF Extra

After being in the shop for a month, they couldn't recreate the problem. After having it home and running it for 10 hours or so, the problem came back. Playing a cd I got static on the L R and C channels.

Anyone? Help? Please?

3. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear you're having a problem Alf.
    Also surprised nobody answered you for over 3 months.
    Just a shot in the dark but are you sure the receiver is getting enough airflow?
    Heat can do weird and wonderful things to electronics.
    In the shop it was probably on a bench with lots of airflow.
    You might try putting a fan blowing on it while it's working rather than moving it (and disconnecting all the cables).

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Also – don’t put the DVD player on top of the receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. AlF

AlF Extra

Wow, a year later to the day my problem came back. Last night while watching a movie, an hour in the sound degraded to static and weirdness.

I put a fan on it and it didn't help. It's really not all that hot in the room, mid-high 70's. However it's quite humid. Could that do it?

And here's my conspiracy theory, possible corruption or time bomb virus in the processor that explodes on July 8th? Shot in the dark.

al

6. AlF

AlF Extra

Anyone? I see you guys reading the forums....can someone offer a suggestion? I've been running the air for a week now, it's nice and cool in here...heat isn't the issue.

7. AlF

AlF Extra

Yes, it's me again. Took it into the shop, static for 30 seconds and it cleared right up. Shop guy says I have "bad power" and I need to plug it into it's own surge protector or into the wall directly. I thought wow, the only thing I didn't check was power.
    Unfortunately it didn't help. After 30 minutes the static came back.

Can anyone explain "bad power" to me and why it might cause my problem...And will I have to buy a $500 power conditioning device? Why doesn't the av receiver condition it's own power? Seems like a lot of BS to me.