Denon AVR-1803 vs Yamaha RXV-630

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jefferson^D, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Jefferson^D

Jefferson^D Auditioning

I am interested in the denon avr-1803 ($370 at etronics) or the yamaha RXV-630 ($340 at etronics). Which will serve me best??? I will use 60% movies (mainly just from tv-out from computer (divx)) and 40% music. I have a medium sized room and want to get the jbl speaker package which consists of 4 n24, 1 n-center, and i pb-10 sub. Which reciever will suite my needs the best????

Thanks

2. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

Go Denon everyone else does. Just kidding I get tired of the post what is better. Tell ya what find a place and preview them. Or better yet use the web and compare spec's.
    I am sorry, I just get burned out on the whole what is better.

3. Chris_James

Chris_James Auditioning

I recently wrestled with this very decision, and ended up purchasing the Yamaha. I was able to listen to both of them, and my untrained ears could not tell a difference. Of course, I was looking at a 100$ price difference between the Denon (499$) and Yamaha (399$) as well, which basically made the decision for me. As far as the specs go you get a bit more power out of the Denon, as well as a second zone and a glow-key remote. To me that wasn't worth the 100$ over the Yamaha. However, if you plan to use the component video jacks, I *think* the Yammy has a higher bandwidth, but don't quote me on that.

So far, the Yamaha has been quite easy to use, and the remote had codes for my Zenith VCR and my Sharp TV, but not for my Apex DVD player. I cannot comment on the ease of setup or the sound quite yet, as I am waiting for my speakers to arrive. There is a pretty good review on the Yamaha unit here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-1-2003.html

Hope this helps, you really can't go wrong with either of them IMO.

Chris

4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

for what it's worth, I sell both lines, and the denon has a few features that I likebut when A/B'ing them on aless than efficiant speaker set-up, the Yamaha is tighter, more musical and has more "balls". ADD that to some processor problems and reliability issues with some denons of late and I'd lean towards the Yamaha......my $.02

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What sorts of reliability issues, Matthew? Just curious.

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Not automatically sensing the dig. input and switching to dd

Frequent Thermal shutdown

Very long surround mode or input changes

bass redirecting difficulties

X-over failure (intermittent)

HISSING at low volume

....these are a few I can remember

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I to have noticed problems with the Denons not autosensing input correctly I went to Good Guys where my friend works and I was looking at the 1803 and the 730, at any rate I had a DTS encoded DVD and we could not get it to work worth a crap, we checked all the connections, the menu's on the DVD player etc and still nothing, it was very odd. at any rate I ended up going with the 730 from yamaha.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wow.

I have an 1803 in my bedroom system and the little guy has been performing like a champ (though I never drive the thing hard). But I have noticed it takes about a second or two for the DD/DTS autosensing mode to work. It has never been an issue, though.