1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon AVR-1802 vs Onkyo TX-DS595

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

In the market for a $500-$600 receiver. Which one of these has more power? Also, which has better sound, I listen to 50/50 music/HT. HELP!!! Thank you [​IMG]

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Kyle, the Onkyo is 75W a channel and while I dont know the exact power of the Dennon it is for all intents and purposes the same. They are both fine receivers. The quality and loudness of sound you hear in your listening room is 95% determined by the particular speaker "sound", room acoustics, and speaker efficency. As long as it has adequate power the sound you hear has little to do with your receiver. Unless you buy inefficent speakers either the 595 or 1802 will drive them fine and I bet in a blind listening test one would have a hard time distingishing between them. FWIW I have an Onkyo 595 driving Paradigm Studio 20s as mains, CC Studio center and Paradigm Atoms as surrounds and I am very happy with the it for both music and HT. Enjoy.
    Nick

3. joe goswami

joe goswami Stunt Coordinator

Read my post in the Onkyo vs Denon topic in this section.

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I made almost same comparison in my home before ultimately going with a Denon 3802 except I compared an 1801. With all due respect to Nick G, I found that receiver brands have almost as much input to the overall sound as different speaker companies. The 595, in my opinion, was too mellow for home theater when compared to my old Yamaha RV-905. It didn't sound lively and "in my face." Bass output on the 595 was better than the 1801. After carefully calibrating all speakers with each receiver the 595 was consistently 2-3dbs higher than the 1801 when playing the same demo material. I thought the 1801 had a more dynamic sound for movies when compared to the 595 but the lower bass was a problem for me. I then tried the 3802 and found it to be just what I was looking for. Bass that met or exceeded the 595 and a sound that was exciting and dynamic without being as harsh as the Yamaha. Sorry I can't address the music part of your question because I only do home theater in this room. Please keep in mind these are just my opinions from what I heard or thought I heard in my theater room. Try them out for yourself if you can.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Nick P on November 11, 2001 at 10:36 PM]

5. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

To repeat, the sound you hear in your listening room is 90% speaker choice and room acoustics. This is not just me saying this, ask any audio engineer. The recievers in question will have little if any meaningful sonic difference to the listener. And Nick P, remember, to get a 3 db increase in sound level requires double the power. With them calibrated as you say, I do not think it is possible the 595 was putting out almost double the power (2-3db increase in sound) of the 1801 at any given point during your demo. You may want to re examine your testing procedure.
    Regards, Nick

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

7. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Nick G,
    All I know is what the SPL needle was reading and I played these same scenes over and over again to make sure I saw what I saw. With each receiver I calibrated all speakers to 75db and the subs at 78db with Video Essentials. I then backed the volume level down so the test tones were reading 6db lower on the meter and played the demos. The 1801 was 2-3db lower on Fight Club airplane crash, Toy Story 2 intro, and Titan AE ice fields. If I didn't do something correct with this comparison then please tell me what it was.
    How can you say two different receivers sound the same? Have you ever compared a Yamaha to an Onkyo? You couldn't tell the Yamaha is much brighter? I certainly agree that room acoustics play a big role. That is why I was very careful to qualify my statements by saying this is what I heard in MY room. Maybe we both might be more correct to say it is the COMBINATION of receiver and speaker brands that produce such different sounds.
    ------------------