Denon AVR 1802 problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Will the Denon 1802 remember the surround setting of an input? I took one home today and if I set TV to DPLII Cinema, when I switch to CD it remains DPLII Cinema even though I had previously set the CD input to DPLII Music.
    If I switch the CD input to DPLII Music, when I switch back to TV, that input becomes DPLII Music. Doesn't appear it should work that way. BTW, TV is an analogue connection, and CD is digital, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

2. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

I have an 01 series Denon. Assuming they function similarly, what would be happening is:
    The Denon keeps a memory specific to each input (CD, TV, VCR, etc) of what mode/DSP its in, BUT any changes to a particular mode is changed across the board for that mode.
    So, say you add +3 dB to the centre channel for the 'Matrix' mode for TV input, all other inputs set to 'Matrix' will have their centre channel output increased by +3dB.
    My model doesn't have DPLII, but I assume what's happening is that DPLII is being set to 'music mode' across the board, just like changing one of the speaker settings, or the delay setting for 'Matrix'.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

That's what's happening. It is quite inconvenient. Other units I have tried perform the "right" way. They maintain the settings by input. Particularly with DPLII, music mode is great for CD's, Cinema mode for VCR and DVD's (for 2 channel sources). The Denon makes it necessary to change mode every time you change input. UGH!