Denon AVR 1604 and hissing issues

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott_L, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    I'm getting hissing from my 1604 noticeable from my Infinity alpha tweeters. I thought it was a faulty receiver so I got an exchange from Crutchfield (great service by the way)for another 1604, but this one has the same noise.
    I can hear the hissing from about 4 feet away which is very annoying. I hear it at every input selection. The hissing stays constant regardless of the volume level. I tried different speakers, (I'm using Monster cables)rearranging cables, isolated everything and even tried the unit at a friends house in case it was line noise.
    I read that turning down the treble will lessen the noise (it does), but why should I have to choose between hissing and mediocre sound?
    Is this particular model known for it's noise? Will the Denon AVR 3803 have this noise too?
    Also, will there be a noticeable increase in the quality of sound if I exchange the 1604 for the 3803?
    Thanks

2. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

My 3803 is dead quiet(on Klipsch),yes the 3803 is better in every way and you should notice a big difference.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Scott,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Are you running the system with the treble boosted? A good system really shouldn’t need any treble boost, except for the occasional high-frequency-challenged program source. However, some people like the sound of a sizzling high-end; if you’re one of those, then the trade off is you’ll have to live with that hiss.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do like the treble boosted. To me, everything just sounds clearer and more defined. I'm getting the 3803. I shouldn't have to compromise between dull or hissing.
    Is it the quality of the power supply or the DAC's that determines the degree of noise?
    Thanks again

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Scott,

The problem isn’t your equipment. The problem is that your ears are accustomed to inaccurate response. The hiss is the product of the receiver’s signal-to-noise ratio, and when you boost the highs you also raise the noise floor.

For instance, the 1604 has a respectable S/N ratio spec of 98dB. But when you boost the treble to the max (12dB boost @10kHz), your noise floor becomes a mediocre 86dB.

I expect you will realize reduced noise with the 3803. Since it has a lower noise floor of 102dB and limits treble boost to 10dB, you’ll end up with a 92dB S/N ratio at worst – still a mediocre figure, but 6dB better than what you functionally have now.

It would be better to acclimatize your ears to accurate (not exaggerated) response. This would best accomplished by listening to your system for a few weeks with the treble set to flat.

There are other good reasons to get accustomed to natural response. Exaggerated treble response leads to listener fatigue, substantially increases the risk of hearing loss over time, and places undue stress on the high frequency drivers of your speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Wayne is correct.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Scott: I agree with the guys. As an additional thought, you might want to consider looking at different speakers instead of a different receiver. Speakers come in all flavors and, based on your comments, it seems likely that you would be happier with what most of us would call "bright" sounding speakers. This would do away with the need for you to crank up the treble (and introduce more hiss into the system.) (Me...I want my speakers warm. The total opposite of bright.)

8. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    Thanks all. I've been trying to recondition my ears to a lower treble setting, but the hissing is still evident from over a foot away with the treble at 0 db.
    I've also noticed my CD's don't sound quite right as well (non hissing related). Some kind of distortion or inaccuracies... I'll give the 3803 a try and report back when it's back in stock and in my living room. Is the 3803 known to be on the "bright" side?
    Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Scott

9. Chuck Kent

Not to my ears...

10. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

3803 is really a better receiver than the 1604, but I suggest you to try different recordings before deciding to replace your 1604. Only because of the hissing it may not be the correct decision to replace the receiver and you may end up paying extra $$ for a unit which is more than your needs = not economically wise. CD recordings differ to a surprising extent. Some of them are so muddy that it makes me mad. Take Aenima for example... It's been a two way feeling for me to listen to this album. While the music is incredibly pleasing, the recording is so bad that it really damages the enjoyment. And there are even much worse CDs out there, Ace of Spades from Motorhead (not mastered) for example, or Feel the Fire from Overkill...

Just my $0.02

11. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    Just received my 3803 today and it IS dead quiet. With the treble turned to the max I have to put my ear on the tweeter to hear a (very) faint hiss. The sound quality is much better too. It's kind of annoying I have to use my TV to use the setup functions, but I'm very satisfied.

Thanks all

12. Chuck Kent

Scott: Glad to see that you've got things settled. [​IMG]

Once you have things settled, the need for the TV to do any further setup will be minimal.

Just curious... Are you still running the treble up on the 3803 as before?

13. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    I have the treble set to 4dB right now. This receiver sounds so much better I may eventually lower it to 2 or 0 dB.

Thanks again

14. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

hearing a hiss at 1 foot away is pretty common i think. i have the 1604 also and theres definately no hiss at listening position. but i have the treble flat. usually the tone controls are only used to try and even out a deficiency in the speaker. i doubt your speaker really needs it.